A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Describe Items on Etsy?  (Read 1015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« on: March 05, 2010 06:29:04 AM »

I just got out of the hospital and am now way behind on my schedule to open an Etsy shop. I'm trying to write descriptions of my items, but everything sounds so superficial and like it doesn't have enough information or enough oomph! to get someone to want to keep reading.

I know to include the size, materials, type of home it came from, any special qualities like hidden pockets, if it comes with a free gift, my offer for gift-wrapping, how it will be packaged, and the disclaimer that some parts may be upcycled/recycled.

It's the describing the actual product in an appealing way that is so hard, and I sometimes don't know what my materials are as some are upcycled. Here's an example of what I'm talking about (please ignore the poor picture quality--I'm building a new lightbox over the weekend):

Earth tones bring out the natural beauty in every woman. Release yours with this hand-woven pendant on a raw-hide rope. Tie it tight to show off your collarbone or let it hang loose with a comfy tank top. You'll catch the light with the sparkling green and blue beads that make up the pendant's outer design.

The diameter is roughly two inches and the raw-hide rope is fifty inches long. This product comes from a smoke-free home.

You will receive this item packaged in a recycled green jewelry box with a hand-written thank you note and a few other surprises inside a vintage button bag.

Please remember that because this item is handmade from some upcycled materials, there may be some irregularities. Thank you for your support!

Spend more than $45.00 and receive a special gift of the month.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010 06:33:37 AM by Sparkle Motion Dreamer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm Alyssa, 18, a film-maker in college, & a non-traditional fantasy novelist online. I bake, create, & dream, & I enjoy all things secret, surrealist & sleep-related.
My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jarofdreams
My Blog: http://livingcraft.blogspot.com
lidehtium
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010 03:11:32 PM »

The description sounds good to me, but if youre worried about it sounding too long or drawn out why not maybe include the shipping / non smoking parts in your main store instead? Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Etsy
YouTube

Looking for a custom stamp, would love to swap!
Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010 03:47:17 PM »

I can definitely eliminate the shipping/home info. I just thought it would be nice for people to know where their item is coming from, but I could always include that in the note. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm Alyssa, 18, a film-maker in college, & a non-traditional fantasy novelist online. I bake, create, & dream, & I enjoy all things secret, surrealist & sleep-related.
My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jarofdreams
My Blog: http://livingcraft.blogspot.com
lorizathm
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010 06:21:44 PM »

I like the description. Smiley

I think it's okay to put down that you don't know the exact origin of some of your materials because they're recycled. I would rather read that than just see no information. Have you checked out the Buyer Turnoffs thread in the Etsy forum (here on Craftster)? I read through that the other day - lotsa helpful hints in there ...plus the realization that you can't please everybody.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010 07:52:19 AM »

I would actually add stuff. Google will pick up about 160 of your first characters, so put as many keywords as you can in the first bits of description. Beef up your titles, too. Basically you have a choice of being found via your keywords in titles and descriptions, or NOT.

HANDMADE CHOKER OR NECKLACE hand-woven BLUE AND GREEN pendant on a BROWN LEATHER raw-hide rope. Tie it tight to show off your collarbone or let it hang loose with a comfy tank top. You'll catch the light with the sparkling green and blue beads that make up the pendant's outer design. Realease your natural beauty with the Earth tones in this casual jewelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010 12:36:11 PM »

The most important thing you can keep in mind when you're writing an item description is to list the most important things about the item first, and then write the rest of the description in an "inverted pyramid" style (with the most important info in the beginning, progressing to the least important info at the end of the description).   Here is a link to a Storque article on how to do this.  I always keep this page handy when I write my descriptions: 

http://www.etsy.com/storque/how-to/seller-how-to-5-tips-for-item-descriptions-6017/

Yeah you don't need the shipping info in there or that it comes from a smoke free house.  In fact, you can take the smoke free house and the "Spend $45" promotion and stick that in your general shop announcement.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
itscribe
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010 12:10:18 PM »

Think about what makes that necklace special. Is it really the rawhide that can be tied long or short or the handwoven and beaded starburst pendant? Be careful that you worry too much about function and forget what makes your work special.

Also think about keywords. What would someone type into Google if they were searching for someone who makes what you make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laura3850
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010 09:07:02 AM »

Do you have a macro feature on your camera (it's a little flower symbol)? The macro feature will really help with the clearness of your pictures. If it doesn't, you might need to buy a new camera with macro. I bought mine at walmart for $59.99, I think almost all digitals have macro now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Abstract Flowers With Acrylic
Texturing and Blending With Acrylic Paint
Acrylic Brush Strokes Techniques
How to Tag Like a Real Graffiti Artist
An Artists Transforms a Washington Church Into a Striking Landmark
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...