A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (Sort of dumb) question on cutting  (Read 524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Burst
« on: March 04, 2010 08:01:32 PM »

I am making the nursery bedding for my baby's room, and for the bigger pieces, the pattern just tells me to cut to dimensions given, rather than offering me pattern pieces.

So if I have to cut a big ol' rectangle (like a bed sheet), how do I best measure that without a pattern piece, and still get it even?

I'm wondering if there's some really obvious thing I'm missing about cutting fabric without actual paper pattern pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join a group blog for sewers, knitters and crocheters at http://www.mustmakemore.blogspot.com
SophieMiriam
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010 05:36:08 AM »

I would go to the craft store and buy some true grid. It's measured in inches, so it's easy to cut straight corners. It's pretty cheap per yard, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010 06:14:44 AM »

Get your square, draw a rectangle in paper, and lo! you have your pattern.

My personal system is to even the material by drawing out a thread on each side to mark the line crosswise, then do the same lengthwise.  This way I know the lines are perfectly square regarding the material.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010 06:17:02 AM by soorawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Burst
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010 11:46:06 AM »

Thanks. I know I could make a paper pattern, but that would take taping a lot of paper together, you know? These are big ol' pieces. I thought they must have something else in mind. Those are good ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join a group blog for sewers, knitters and crocheters at http://www.mustmakemore.blogspot.com
N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010 01:20:43 PM »

I use my floor. In the kitchen it's linoleum with 4 inch squares so that's the easiest, but sometimes I use the hardwood since it also has pretty straight lines. If the salvage edge looks straight I sometimes use that too. Measure away from the edge the same distance every couple inches, cut connecting the dots. If cutting across (from salvage to salvage) then folding the fabric can work if the salvages are straight. Fold up the distance you need so that each salvage is folded on itself (not onto the opposite one) and cut on the fold.
I've tried the pull a thread method too, but the thread always breaks on me. Any secrets there soorawn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010 01:47:55 PM »

Yep!  Use a pair of tweezers!  When I last made a couple of tablecloths, I prepared them this way, and the thread kept breaking.  But with patience and tweezers the work wasn't so tiring, and it did pay off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010 04:29:13 PM »

When cutting large pieces of fabric, I first draw lines for easier and stress-free cut time.  Use your yard long measuring ruler stick* and draw on backside of fabric with water soluble marker, chalk or pencil.  Cut it. 

Take a close look at your stick and make sure it is straight!  I have 4 sticks and 1 is crooked or warped.  The evil stick made me mark many crooked lines and for the longest, I thought my hand-to-eye coordination or vision was impaired. Gotta throw that the thing away but keep forgetting . . . .ooooh, wait, maybe it's time to upgrade to metal. . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Lessons Sherri Shepherd Has Learned From Wearing Wigs
How to Get the Ombre Look Without Coloring Your Hair
How to Easily Switch Your Hair from Day to Night
Lisa Price on Using Items From Her Kitchen for Hair Care
Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s Top 5 Hair Must-Haves
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...