A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muggle Art: The Official Contest Kit (Craftster Little Tiny Challenge entry)  (Read 18442 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , miniature , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 04, 2010 05:38:37 PM »

Yes!, witches and wizards, Proud squibs and mudbloods--it's back!  By popular demand, and in conjunction with the now famously celebrated Muggle Awareness Week, the Ministry of Magic is proud to announce the tenth annual Muggle Art Magic-less Art Contest! Make it like the muggles--no magic allowed! Official Muggle Art Kits are now in shops!  How artistic are you without a wand and spells?  Show your artsy stuff and you could win the grand prize of a month-long tour of the hidden magical world of Europe!  Buy yours and start your entry today!  Official rules in each Muggle Art Kit, or at the Ministry of Magic Muggle Relations Department, Muggle Art Contest Division Office.

Well, that's the idea, anyway.   Grin  I sat and sat for a long time trying to think of a fun idea for this month's Crafster Little Tiny Challenge.  Figured I wanted to make something that I would be proud to display on my shelves for a long time.  After a lot of thought, I came up with the idea of a mini-sewing box.  But that evolved into this, after lots of time and about a week of prototypes that were so bad I almost gave up (they were bad looking, believe you me! lol) (For more detail about the development of this idea, I've posted a comment on page 6 of the replies to this post.)

The box is all made of paper, the design is original, and was created on my favorite program, Xara.  The individual items are made from stuff hanging around the house.  From plastic fruit boxes, to cereal boxes, to old pen cartridges, to paper clips, etc.  The whole Muggle Art craft kit and items inside are completely original and made by me.  Whoo-hoo!   Grin  The drawers and trays are all articulated, meaning, they move like they're real.

Contents of this Kit:

1 Glue Gun
30 Glue Sticks
1 Xacto Knife
1 Pencil
1 Sharpie Marker
1 Paint Brush
1 Spool of Heavy Grey String
1 Spool of Plastic Red Ribbon
1 Spool of Heavy Green String
1 Spool of Gold String
5 Bottles of Paint
3 Rubber Stamps
1 Paintbox Pigment Stamp Pad
8 White Plastic Bracelets
2 Containers of Glitter
1 Large Clear Piece of Tubing
12 Crystal Eggs
1 Set of 12 Assorted Colors of Large Beads
1 Muggle Art Official Rules Sheet
2 Purple Plastic Strips
2 Thick Rubber Sheets
3 Brass Rods
1 Copper Metal Sheet
6 Strips of Wood
1 Strip of Clear Acrylic
2 Sheets of Alphabet Stickers
3 Sheets of Assorted Stickers
1 Ruler
1 Glue Stick
1 Red Rubber Eraser

For scale, I took a photo with some things on a dime.  I'm pretty proud of that hot glue gun.  The tip is the point of a pin. Can you see the small rubber stamp?

The rubber stamp is made from a fraction of a matchstick. The paint bottle is made from the shaft of a ball point pen cartridge.  The square glitter bottle is a teeny piece of clear plastic folded and hot glued together, with glitter glue squirted inside.  The stamp pad is a mini mini printout with a piece of clear acrylic over it. The ribbon spool labels were my own design, as was the glue stick wrapper.

Here's the ruler shot.  Wow.  Just inside!  That's because I had to remake it a couple of times to make sure it fit!  lol  The box is 2x2x2 and fits on all sides.

Here is a snapshot of one of the pages before assembly. They are completely original designs, created in a marvelous computer program called Xara.  After printing them out, I cut out each piece with an Xacto and scissors, lightly scored for a clean fold, and assembled with a glue-stick and a touch of hot glue.

The whole project took me some pretty solid work for a couple of weeks.  And my sweet hubby, as ever, has been really encouraging.  Smiley  I can't wait to put this on a shelf and display it.  Now we just have to finish building our house so that we have a shelf! lol   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 08:07:03 PM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mazinmama
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010 05:43:58 PM »

AMAZING!  Upon first glance, I thought this was real things!   Grin  Awesome work here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamesofyou

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010 05:58:08 PM »

I'm in awe. Really, I thought this was full size until I saw the dime for size comparison (silly me, I clicked on the thumbnail from the Newest Projects list and didn't realize it was for the contest, haha). It's awesome, I want one!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairyWings
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010 06:22:56 PM »

ooo i love tiny thingss! and your tiny thing is full of even tinier things! I entered the contest but i just might be voting for you when it comes time !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

milanopsi
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010 06:47:19 PM »

wow as a harry potter fan myself i am very impressed.  it absolutely looks full sized i cant believe how small the details are.  i'm hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010 06:58:54 PM »

Oh my wow! This is simply spectacular!!! It's so well made and detailed! You should display it proudly. Smiley Awesome work. Thank you for sharing it with us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
InvisibleCastle

A dream is a wish, your heart makes...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010 07:33:53 PM »

*clicks "this rocks" button*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JCDillustration
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010 07:34:14 PM »

W-o-w. This is a tour de force. Even just the glue gun alone is awesome! Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010 07:35:14 PM »

OH MERLIN!!! THIS IS SOOO FABULOUS! I really can't believe that you didn't use any magic to make this! I'm pretty much expecting to find out you're used a shrinking spell on all of this! This is really just about the most amazing miniature thing I have ever seen! all those tiny things on a DIME, which is also already tiny!

I haven't seen any of the other entries but you already have my vote! I could never hope to make anything so tiny and I soo envy you!!

I'm hitting 'this rocks', wisting, and making sure everyone I know checks this out!!

WOOOO Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked OOOOW
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogglin

More Optimistic Than Skilled.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010 07:42:45 PM »

In the "spot the dime" pic, it took me a second because I was looking on the table for it, not in the drawer, because how could all this be so tiny?!?!

Awesome. Incredible. Amazing. Whoa. and many other words of goodness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Egg Rolls
Chicken Wellington on fixmyrecipe.com
How to make Cranberry Sauce
Artichoke Chicken With Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Sauteed Chicken With Mushroom Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...