A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Kippah.. As in for a Jewish wedding, +crochet flower samples, +stitch samples  (Read 12364 times)
Tags for this thread: yarmulke  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2010 04:26:17 PM »

I'm putting things away for the not-too distant future. This Skullcap is for my Future husband to wear.
I made it in a LONG day, and use metallic embroidery. Then, since I've been playing around with flower variations, those are here too.
Finally, there is a group of stitch samples. People were asking me how to convert a knitted shoulderette into crochet, and these are examples of open-work that can be used.
1) the Yarmulke Also known as Kippah, or skull-cap

2)The Crochet flower samples

3)A few stitch pattern samples

If you'd like more details, please ask, I'll type up the patterns in a reply post here.
Thanks! Karen
If you just read this, I'm going to add some close-ups of the stitches, and explainations in the next post. Be right back!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 04:37:14 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010 04:45:41 PM »

That kippah is beautiful!  I love the silver and gold accents.  Is he going to wear it during the wedding ceremony?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010 04:53:39 PM »

Here is the knitting post I am referring to.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=339640.0
The sample of stitch patterns shown are easy variations of Double crochet, with some chain stitches, where a space is needed. They work up fast, and the open work will keep the shoulderette from becoming too bulky, or heavy.
Here are some close-ups:
1) the cuff is Single Crochet, with a SC around the edge, 4" deep. Make to fit.

2)The first stitch shown is a striped pattern, 3 rows of CH.5 scallops, and 1 row of 3 DBL crochet in a cluster, all across. Start pattern with the Doubles to make a firm edge.

3)Next, is a mixed shell. It's just the same as the basic for granny squares, except every other cluster has a chain between 2 DC's, creating the open shell.

4)here are two variations of filet... One is staggered, going thru the space below it, the other is Stacked, going thru the Stitch below it. See the difference? the staggered version has more of a slanted look.

The stacked one is good for using more than one chain in between, if you want larger holes, or to weave fur thru. Or fun-fur!

I know a lot of you are far more advanced crocheters, but this is intended for beginners, or those who want to try the shoulderette in a crochet pattern.
All you need is to do is make a chain the length,(52") and work for 33 inches.
See knitting post for further instructions.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 05:04:59 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010 04:56:34 PM »

I sure plan on it! He doesn't know I made it... I'm still waiting on him to propose, but it should happen any time! This is called "A leap Of Faith!"
And, thank you! That metallic stuff is the kind you tie gift tags on with. (The non-stretch kind) It did not like being used as embroidery thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gumby
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010 05:01:58 PM »

I love the Kippah. do you think it will fit a 13 year old to wear for his Bar Mitzpah? I would love the pattern if you are willing to share
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marci
aisy
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010 05:10:24 PM »

gorgeous!i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010 05:27:17 PM »

I love the Kippah. do you think it will fit a 13 year old to wear for his Bar Mitzpah? I would love the pattern if you are willing to share
Sure it would! I really just winged it.
But, here's how it went... I used DMC crochet thread, #10, and a steel hook. Mine was 1.8, but a 2 should be OK. There is also a heavier guage, and that twisted embroidery cotton, that takes a 3.5 hook.
  Start with a Ch.3 circle. Do as many sc's in the center as you can. keep going around , increasing about every 8 stitches. Do a row of increses, then a row of stitches without increases. if it looks too flat, or too curved, adjust your spacing as needed. you want it to form just a slight curved shape. That's why I went around without increasing every other row.
when you are getting close to the size you want. do a row of Double crochets. try to blend in the last stich with an sc, so that the row matches up. then, ch1 up, and do a row of sc., without increasing. Then, sc2, to do a second dc. row. this time, DC7, ch1, dc7, all around.
you may not come out perfectly even, but that's ok. then do one more row of sc, and finish off with a scallop. I used a slightly slanted scallop. Like this:
ch1, dc3 in next stitch, skip 1 stitch, slip st. in next stitch. This lays down the dc's to the left, as you go around. ch1, dc3, sk1, sl1 in next stitch.blend in last cluster if count is off. Then, weave thru the 2 rows of Double crochet, your gold and silver cord, with a yarn needle. It really needs an even number of DC's to come out right. go around twice,reversing the stitch, to create a woven look. I used silver on the inside band, and gold on the outside band.
  for the star, trace your image 3" or less. pin paper, and baste lines with a pale thread. you may now go over lines. do dove last, making him fit.
The inside was lined with felt, and ribbon, I made loops to hold hair clips. They are stitched securely, so it won't flip around.
The whole piece is about 5" in diameter. I used a small amount of tacky glue under the felt. This also adds stiffness, and keeps embroidery thread from working loose. The tiny ribbon was hand-stitched, with the piece in the center to hide the seam of the felt. You need to stitch a seam in the felt to shape it. Trim excess width AFTER stitching in. i used tiny hand stitches, thru the crocheted edging, and trimmed it away from the scallops.
  let me know if you need any other info!
I look forward to seeing yours!
Don't forget to steam it to a smooth shape! Use a wig form,(Or other shape) with 2 layers of press cloth, to keep it clean. One on top, on below. Do this before decorating, and when finished.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 05:31:42 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010 06:06:54 PM »

I really enjoyed looking at your work! Beautiful kippah!
Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010 07:42:43 PM »

KLK, is that yarmulke really crocheted? I would never have guessed from looking at it. It looks more like some kind of weaving. The embroidery works very well in spite of the uncooperative cord! What is the design in the middle of the star? a dove?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010 10:10:40 PM »

KLK, is that yarmulke really crocheted? I would never have guessed from looking at it. It looks more like some kind of weaving. The embroidery works very well in spite of the uncooperative cord! What is the design in the middle of the star? a dove?

Wulf

It sure is, Wulf! it's all single crochet,( except for the edge, and two double crochet rows, where I wove in the metallic) and the stitches are about the size of a large seed bead.
That crochet cotton is about the thickness of a 24 guage wire, a #10 cotton. It has a dove in the middle. I'm not so happy with it, but I didn't want to fill it all the way in, and have  it get dark.
  The hardest part of this was the finger cramping, from the small-scale thread!  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 10:21:10 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Long Hair
How to Cover Bald Patches for Women
How to Choose a Conditioner
Common Hair Braid Mistakes
How to Defrizz Hair in a Flash
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...