A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An Easter outfit for the porch furniture: How to make a circle tablecloth  (Read 1118 times)
Tags for this thread: tablecloth  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 04, 2010 02:49:59 PM »

Today was the warmest day in months.  A perfect day to give the porch a new spring look.  

I made two chair covers and the circular tablecloth.  

Here's a quick and dirty way to make a circular tablecloth without measuring a thing or using a compass.

1.  You need a piece of fabric slightly longer than the unfolded width.  Roughly a square shape.  The width of the fabric will determine how big your circle will be.  36 inch fabric will make a table cloth that is between 34 and 35 inches in diameter.  If you want a bigger circle you will have to sew it together.

2.  Square up one end of the fabric by ripping.  Make a tiny cut through the selvages and rip away.

3.  Line the ripped edge up with one of the selvages to make a big kerchief shaped triangle.

4.  Fold in half along the long side of the fabric.  (The folded edge on the left side in the picture above.)

5.  Fold in half again.    You are bringing the shortest length over to the opposite edge each time.  Always keep the short radius on top as you fold.  

6.  Fold again.  Bringing the short side to the opposite edge and leaving it on top.  It is easier to see what I mean in the picture below.  

7.  Keep folding until your fabric is too thick to continue.  I was using an upholstery grade fabric so it was fairly thick.  I folded one more time, but that was for the puropose of marking the radius.  

8.  Mark the radius...  From the picture above you can see that if you were to cut straight across the selvage you would have a longer radius on the right hand side than on the left.  (It might make for a cool zig zag or flower petal edge if you wanted but I don't want to try and hem that today!)  In the picture below, the paper marks the point on each side of the triangle where the radius (distance to the center point) is equal on both sides.

9.  Cut across the radius.  I had to do it in sections because of the thickness of my fabric.  

9.  Open it up to see your circle.  Sometimes you get points where the folds were so trim them up.  In the pictures below you can see the quarter circle as I unfolded it.  It has a little blip on the right hand side near the rose that I ended up trimming a bit.  The second picture is on my round coffee table before I hemmed it.  

10.  Hem. Because I used a heavy fabric with a tendency to fray, I zigzagged the edge and then did a simple one fold hem to avoid a bulky hem.  You will have to ease the fabric as you go.  Put in some tiny tucks often keeps you from needing bigger pleats.  

11.  Put on your table and enjoy.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 03:00:40 PM by waggonswest » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
evilSabina
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010 04:15:39 PM »

That's a nifty trick. Thanks! And your porch looks inviting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010 07:19:32 AM »

wow--sure beats trying to lay out a huge piece of fabric in limited space and using s handmade compass!! 

love the bright colors and the simple chair covers...I wish it would get warm enough here for me to feel like doing spring projects!

Lovely pick-me-up project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010 07:40:50 AM »

Thanks.  It is a simple trick if you aren't looking for perfection.  I just learned I have to make a cloak for the boy blacksmith's renfaire garb so I am going to use the same trick to make a half circle.  (Actually, that is how my first circle tablecloth came out due to a slight miscalculation in the folding process.) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coral Cocktail Frocks Trend in Film Party at Cannes Day Two
C&T By Costello Tagliapietra
Pastel Gowns Take the Lead at Cannes Film Festival Day One
C&T Costello Tagliapietra Capsule Collection
Trends from the 2012 MET Gala Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...