A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,316
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: foreign coins and bills  (Read 3053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ace_miller
« on: March 03, 2004 01:48:24 PM »

I have a rather large number of foreign currency, including bills and coins and I'd love to do something cool with them. I had thought about modgepodging something, but i haven't come up with any really good ideas. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004 01:58:50 PM »

what exactly is modge-podge, people have told me i should do this with my cion collection, but i've never heard of it, a push in the right direction would be nice. Also you could drill small holes in the coins and make a curtain thing! i was thinking about doing that, but my mom wouldn't let me! oh well, right now they're in those little cardboard things with the plastic, so you can see them, but i really wanted ot do something with them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004 02:11:24 PM »

what exactly is modge-podge, people have told me i should do this with my cion collection, but i've never heard of it, a push in the right direction would be nice. Also you could drill small holes in the coins and make a curtain thing! i was thinking about doing that, but my mom wouldn't let me! oh well, right now they're in those little cardboard things with the plastic, so you can see them, but i really wanted ot do something with them!

Mod Podge is a brand name for a "water-based sealer, glue and finish for all surfaces". It comes in matte or a glossy finish. It's non-toxic and non-flammable, it's the consistency of thick cream, you can apply it with a brush or a sponge. It's basically like white glue, only you can do a lot more with it (like decoupage: just google the term decoupage or google mod podge, if you want more help there), so you get more "bang for your buck". Crafting and "podgy" go together like a fish and water. If you're going to get into crafts? you're bound to run into Mod Podge a lot!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004 02:25:16 PM »

They now make a mod podge with iridecent glitter in it.   In the past I have added glitter to diff products that I have ModPodged, but just lettign oyu know that is another option that it comes in now  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004 02:44:50 PM »

Honestly, you guys down south get everything!!! Tongue We just have plain old vanilla mod podge up here in Canada. (At least in the town where I live!) I'll have to get me some of that next time I'm south of the border!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004 03:20:25 PM »

Cover a box for your charge receipts!  LOL   Here we go with the brain storm: glue them onto the edges of a picture frame and put some travel photos in the frame;  Glue onto the bottom edge of a lamp shade; mount them inside a frame and make a cool shape of them (like a circle or triangle);  glue around under computer monitor; "tile" with them on a stepping stone or such; drill a hole in each coin and make a necklace/bracelet....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004 02:21:49 PM »

I've got some great ideas for reusing coins...I'll try and post the projects later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
Nemi

Where'd I put that?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004 10:45:55 PM »

I collect all them coins.... I have a book full of polished foreign pretties.

It might be kina cool to encase some of the coins in clear vinyl, and make like a bag, purse, or wallet out of them.  Or a belt!  Or... o.o

I remember having little vinyl things with stuff sewn inside, I always loved that stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bftscgirl
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004 08:02:14 AM »

You can laminate the bills and use them as bookmarks. I bought one from the bookstore and it cost me $3 dollars. Yeah, just laminate and give as gifts.   Grin As for the coins if u label the countries and put it in a nice frame it would make great wall art and would be a great reminder to all the places you have been if u got them on your travels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.                                     

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
craft-matic
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004 12:00:58 PM »

If any of your currency is European and was replaced by the Euro, you may consider trying to use it in a way that preserves its integrity; it may be worth holding on to and giving to future generations when they're grown.  Clearly it has little value now, but in 50+ years, when everyone who remembers spending a Mark or a Franc is retired, it may be much rarer (and perhaps worth something).  All those things on antiques roadshow are there as much from foresight as luck, right? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour the Pounds Away
Smoky Eye and Bold Lip Makeup Tutorial
5 Beauty Tools That Will Make Your Life Way Easier
VF NEWS: Anthony Vaccarello Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
VF NEWS: Reem Acra Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...