A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilts for Kids Quilt-along (Charity for Kids)  (Read 42136 times)
Tags for this thread: charity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JodiLynn85
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2010 09:13:04 AM »

It has been a full week of quilting for me. I finished quilting the three kits they sent me (which I pieced ages ago), and then pieced and quilted a stash quilt using a pattern I've never used before! Here are the pictures!

First up is the baby quilt. Not sure what to name this one yet, though I'll have to decide before I go to the post office to mail them today.

Second up, the quilt Colorful Kitties. The colors are actually quite bright in real life, but the camera didn't like them very much.

Third, the quilt Space Dreams.

And last, a quilt named "Swirly Twirlys". The pattern is "New Wave Quilt" from a quilting blog I read, but I adjusted the size to be closer to what QFK asks for and added a border when the final size was slightly too small. The best part is that I was able to use scraps that were sent to me by a Crafster member along with some of my own - the pattern called for less than a fat quarter of each which was perfect since I never have very big scraps.

I quilted along the edges of each wave, and then crazy quilted (stippling? whatever - free hand random quilting) inside each of the colored waves and around the border using coloring changing pastel colored thread. This was my first time using my brand new darning foot and doing free motion quilting, and I got better at it as I went. It was a lot of fun too.

My husband picked the color changing pastel thread, and I think it worked out really well. It was awesome. I'm pretty happy with the way the quilt turned out over all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2010 09:57:01 AM »

I love the New Wave one!  Well, they're all cute, but I really like that pattern... and so I just googled it and found it on Oh, Fransson!  Here it is for anyone else who wants to steal it:  Oh, Fransson's New Wave Quilt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwbuggirlie
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2010 10:09:43 AM »

OMG, JodiLynn85, I love these! I saw the New Wave pattern recently too but it didn't even occur to me to use the pattern for this project.
Great job! Now I need to get my bootie in gear and work on mine this weekend
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
JodiLynn85
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2010 10:15:17 AM »

I love the New Wave one!  Well, they're all cute, but I really like that pattern... and so I just googled it and found it on Oh, Fransson!  Here it is for anyone else who wants to steal it:  Oh, Fransson's New Wave Quilt

Oh thank you for doing that!!! I really should have done that.

I modified the pattern to make it closer to the size QFK requested. Obviously, I did 7 fabrics and each "wave" had 6 triangle thingies in it. My triangles were also only 6 wide by 8 tall (down from 9 in the pattern), and then I added about a 3 inch (I guess 2.5 after seams) border. It worked out really well, and didn't use very much fabric at all of each of the fabrics, which was excellent as I really didn't have very much of some of them.

The pattern really does work very well for this purpose. The finished quilt is only slightly bigger than the kit quilts they sent me. And it was fun to take a break from block sewing to make this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2010 10:38:29 AM »

Jodi! Your quilts look amazing! So glad now I sent you those fabrics, you put them to absolute great use, and they look great together
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiLynn85
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2010 01:03:35 PM »

Question for the team:

Do you think this would make a good quilt for this? I guess you'd have to zig zag all the edges of all the pieces, so as not to snag on IV's. But it sure would be a good way to use up all the bits of leftover brightly colored fabric I have, both from the kits they've sent me (always extras) and my own stash. Would it be more trouble than its worth? I'm looking for ways to stash bust that don't require large pieces of fabrics, as I really don't have many of those (well, that match anyway).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2010 02:22:25 PM »

Question for the team:

Do you think this would make a good quilt for this? I guess you'd have to zig zag all the edges of all the pieces, so as not to snag on IV's. But it sure would be a good way to use up all the bits of leftover brightly colored fabric I have, both from the kits they've sent me (always extras) and my own stash. Would it be more trouble than its worth? I'm looking for ways to stash bust that don't require large pieces of fabrics, as I really don't have many of those (well, that match anyway).

That's really beautiful, but sadly I don't think they would be able to use it.  They do not allow rag quilts which have raw edges like that, due to possible snags, and kids with breathing problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwbuggirlie
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2010 10:15:36 AM »

Another question for the team: my mom gave me some fleece she wasn't going to use (all kid-themed) and it's just been taking us space under my couch. Do you think I could use this as a quilt back and skip the batting? Or should I just go with a "traditional" quilt, using cotton fabrics and battting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2010 10:24:24 AM »

You could always send a quick email to the website itself with the question about the fleece.They answered me within 24 hours when I wrote them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2010 10:30:02 AM »

Question for the team:

Do you think this would make a good quilt for this? I

I think it would make rough feeling quilt if you had to zigzag all those little bits together. And with tons of washing the raw edges under the zigzags would start to fray.

What if you cut your little scraps into the same width pieces and sewed them into long strips. Then pieced the strips together to make a funky random stripe-ish quilt. That would be faster - especially if you have a rotarty cutter and stack the fabrics -and not snag on anything. It would definitely be colorful and snuggly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
My Life My Style: Street Chic
My Life My Style: Make a Statement
How to Look Tall in Flat Shoes
Best One-Piece Swimsuits for Your Body Type
Tips to Keep Your Clothes Looking Fresh All Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...