A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 307,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilts for Kids Quilt-along (Charity for Kids)  (Read 53008 times)
Tags for this thread: charity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2010 05:28:57 AM »

My craft club is finally going to be able to quilt our projects today!  It's only been like 3 weeks since we pieced them.  (All of our members tend to have strange schedules, and it's hard to get us all in the room at once.)  I'm so excited to be able to see them all go together finally.  I'll be sure to get some pictures up soon.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2010 07:20:55 AM »

Those sound great cjclark! And you're so lucky to have access to a longarm machine! My mom's friend has one so I hope to go check it out one of these days, I have been invited Wink

How fun Jennie! klum78 and I attended the meeting of our local Modern Quilt guild the other night and are trying to figure out how to get the guild involved with Quilts for Kids.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010 07:21:52 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2010 09:38:37 AM »

Okay, here are my tops so far. These won't be quilted for a few more weeks, and as soon as they get quilted they will be boxed up and mailed off.
I started these on Friday morning and got a little addicted! I also went to an all day sew for my quilt guild on Saturday, so I was able to make one there.

"Royal Imagination" - my favorite, by far.

"Hot Guitars" - this was the original kit I was sent. Sorry for the lack of close-ups. My photographer was cranky!

"Fancy Firetrucks" - this used some old blocks I had that didn't turn out the way I wanted them for the original project. I was one short, so I used a leftover from the guitar quilt to fill in. The centers of the pieced blocks have a firetruck fabric in them.

"Bright Cats" - this is a crazy Laural Burch holiday fabric with cats on it. I don't think it's too noticeable that it's a Christmas fabric. I used to LOVE crazy bright stuff like this... now, not so much, so it felt good to use it up and move it out of my stash.

I have fabric to piece backs for two of them, and the kit obviously came with a back. I just need to figure out something for the back of the cats. I haven't decided if I'm going to fold the backing around to bind them or make binding. If I do traditional binding I'll also have to figure out what to use for that.

I'm going to look in my stash and see if I can come up with one or two more, but I'm running out of good focus fabrics at the moment. I usually keep an eye out on the clearance racks and buy cute kid fabrics for projects like this when they are $5/yard. That's where I got all the fabric for the first quilt. But, lately I haven't been buying much at all, so there isn't a whole lot to choose from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2010 10:44:15 AM »

cjclark--wowie, you have been busy!  The first one is my favorite one, too!

I think that kids like bright and funky so all of your quilts fit the bill!

I tend to buy multicolor quilt fabrics for the backing so they can go with a lot of colors...I like to get them while on sale or if I have a coupon...however, I get pretty sick of them quickly, so I try not to get more than what I will use for 3 quilts!

Yay jennieingram--I know it is hard to get any group together these days with such diverse schedules!  I know that when you guys are done, it will be such a big accomplishment for all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2010 06:28:28 PM »

cjclark! your quilts are beautiful! You are going to have one lucky baby with tons of super cute sewn things! Just wait, you'll be getting that second wind any day now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilmissdangerous
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2010 07:51:49 PM »

These quilts are super inspiring! I have my quilt top done. I got the batting. Now I have to sit down and quilt it. And its my first "real" quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2010 07:52:27 PM »

These quilts are super inspiring! I have my quilt top done. I got the batting. Now I have to sit down and quilt it. And its my first "real" quilt.

Yay! Have fun! Can't wait to see pics Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JodiLynn85
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2010 09:57:58 PM »

Hey yall!

Been a while since I checked in here, but I wanted to let you guys know about something I did recently that has worked out really really well.

Somebody in the frugal living swap suggested putting a post on craigslist saying something along the lines of that you would take people's unwanted fabric off of their hands. I did that, but I posted on there specifically that I was looking for kid friendly fabric and then posted a link to the quiltsforkids website, saying they could either donate the fabric to the charity for the tax write off, or donate the fabric to me (I'd come pick it up) and I would make quilts out of it and send them a picture and then send them off to the charity. I also posted the same thing on Fort Worth's "Freecycle" group, which they may or may not have in your town (its a yahoo groups thing that someone pointed me to).

I got a TON of responses. Everyone was saying what a great idea that was and I got about 4 or 5 emails from people saying they didn't have any fabric, but thought that I was doing such a nice thing and just wanted to encourage me. One lady in Dallas was so pleased to be able to off load her kid fabric that she mailed me a 12 pound box of it! lol And my husband gets to make the tour on Thursday to go pick up bags of fabric and scraps off of people's porches. I've got so much fabric I will be able to make quilts galore out of my stash now (which was getting thin, especially of kid-friendly fabric) to send to the charity.

MareMare posted all those nice links to quilt patterns, and a lot of them don't need very big pieces of fabric at all. I plan on trying out quite a few of them with all this nice new fabric I've gotten from people.

So hey! It takes, like, 2 minutes to write up a craigslist ad and put it on there. It worked out really well for me, so I thought I'd pass the idea along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
JodiLynn85
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2010 10:00:52 PM »

Oh.... my.... goodness.... that Royal Imagination quilt is just the cutest thing. All of your quilts look fantastic, but that one is just too adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2010 10:06:42 PM »

What a great idea JodiLynn! I am crazy busy this week and next, but the following week I will definitely do that (I would have time to go pick up fabric that week). And I think my boyfriend will be off work to go with me, my brother would have a fit if he knew I was meeting strangers lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Painted Background
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: The Roaming Gnome
@Home This Weekend: Welcoming Door Decor

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...