A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilts for Kids Quilt-along (Charity for Kids)  (Read 35364 times)
Tags for this thread: charity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FabricFun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010 05:05:10 PM »

I finished my kit (the red and black doggies) and sent back 2 extra from my stash (kitties). I think I may send for another kit soon. Thanks for the quilt along post. Can't wait to see what everyone gets finished Wink

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010 05:06:05 PM by funthreads » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sgriffen
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010 06:38:34 PM »

I saw the posting on QFK here and picked up two kits this week (turns out they're right in my back yard!).  One is for me and one is for my mom.  We're kind of quilting newbies, so we've made a pact with an experienced quilting friend to finish these kits together. 

Thank you JodiLynn85 for the repost about the batting.  That's a great suggestion.  I think I'll do the same. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shari
For the Little Doll in Your Life http://centralnjemilyroseathome.blogspot.com/
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010 11:20:03 PM »

I definitely want to join you at some point. I need to finish a rag quilt I'm making for the Grandgirl first. Then pay my taxes. I want to try the basting spray and buy the queen/king batting (with a coupon of course). Then I'll be ready to order my kit, so it may take me a few months to get my act together!

MareMare - any idea how much it costs in postage to send a finished one back from our area of the world? Do they require you to send it back a certain way or with a certain carrier?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010 11:27:26 PM »

I don't hon, I haven't sent mine back yet. They sent it out UPS, but unless I read somewhere that I have to send it that way I plan on sending it USPS.  Maybe someone else has shipped back already has an idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
FabricFun

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010 04:05:15 AM »

I sent all 3 of mine back in one priority flat rate box. If you have one quilt it might be cheaper to go first class mail. I would just suggest you put a DC# on it since they keep track of everything they send out. You want proof that it was sent and received. Keep all your receipts for taxes too. They will send you a donation note.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JodiLynn85
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010 07:42:06 AM »

I want to try the basting spray and buy the queen/king batting (with a coupon of course).

If you sign up for Joann's loyalty program or email list or whatever they call it, they send you emails every week with what is on sale, and then include a coupon at the bottom that's usually good for a week or so. They send pretty good coupons too (30-50% off, sometimes your whole purchase, sometimes just one item that's not already on sale). Sometimes they're only good for online purchases, but about once a week they will send one that's good for in store as well. I only get emails from them about 2-3 times a week, so it doesn't fill up your inbox either. I've saved a lot of money doing that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
Criddy
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010 07:57:24 AM »

This is a fantastic idea, everyone here who is donating there time and materials making more quilts are just wonderful people. Good on all of you Cheesy I just wish that I could join in doing this as well. But being in Australia I cant. I wonder if there is something like this in Australia tho. I think I'll have to look into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010 10:11:37 AM »

I am mailing back to a local mailing address in my own state so I am guessing I can send two via UPS fairly cheaply...yes, be sure to keep track of your shipping, materials and etc. If you itemize your tax return, you can deduct all of it as a charitable deduction! (also, mileage for your trips to buy supplies!!)  It is not a huge amount, but depending on how many you do, it cand add up---if you are using stash, you can estimate what you think you used based on current stuff you are buying!

funthreads--all three quilts are nice and bright! 

sgriffin--this is a perfect project for you and your mother! They are fairly easy and what a wonderful opportunity to share quality time and do some good for the kids! YAY for joining here!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010 10:58:16 AM »

I requested my kit today! I've never quilted before so I'm hoping I don't mess it up too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

petunya
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010 05:00:24 PM »

I made this quilt from fabric provided by Quilts for Kids. I had seen another craftster (Compwalla)post and was inspired to sign up with this wonderful organization. When you receive your quilt kit, there's a little note enclosed, challenging you to make one or two additional quilts.

So, I dug through my fabric collection and put together this 2nd quilt at the same time. It was fun to make two at a time. Also fun to make a "boy" quilt -- the racecar one and a "girl" quilt -- the floral one.
This is the first time I have ever machine quilted. I was dreading it...thought I'd have all sorts of bunching and pulling. But, it worked out really well...much easier than hand quilting (duh).  Cheesy

The back has a hidden kitty...for warm feet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is my therapy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select Calligraphy Fonts
How to Buy Calligraphy Paper
How to Do Lines in Calligraphy
How to Make Your Penmanship Better
How to Illustrate Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...