A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilts for Kids Quilt-along (Charity for Kids)  (Read 37948 times)
Tags for this thread: charity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2010 02:41:14 AM »

Several people have been posting in this thread about their Quilts for Kids quilts. I'm so glad that Compwalla posted the link to share about this great organization! Quilts for Kids provides quilts for children who are ill in hospitals (and others in need) so they have something cuddly to wrap up in. There are different ways to help out, but one way is to request a quilt kit, stitch it up, and send it back to them! They will send you the fabric and pattern, you stitch the top, add batting, and quilt and bind and return it.

I thought it would be great if we all posted our quilts here, or links if they are posted elsewhere on Craftster, and shared our goals for this project. I'm almost done with my quilt top and plan on making another one to send in with this one. I hope to send a total of 4 quilts in this year (plus help my sil with 2).

www.quiltsforkids.org

Here is the first one I am working on, it's now sewn into rows and the light pink border is on, I need to add the final border and get this puppy quilted!
Finished and sent back a couple weeks ago!

The first one my sil and I did together (her first one!):

Here are some of the guidelines and the FAQ, copied straight from the Quilts for Kids website

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you accept Rag quilts?

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to accept them for hospital donations. The lint is not good for a child with breathing issues. However, we can donate them to shelters.

Can we use old t-shirts, sheets, pajamas ?

Due to immunity issues that the children may have, only NEW 100% cotton fabric is allowed. No re-purposed fabrics can be accepted, so please do not use sheets, curtains or clothing.

Can we use flannel?

If it is a high quality new flannel, feel free to create a quilt out of it. Lower quality flannel pills and looks "used" the moment it is washed so please do not use a "discount" store flannel which does not have the higher thread count necessary to stand up to numerous washings.

Do you accept hand-quilted, fleece or tied quilts?

Unfortunately, we are not able to accept tied quilts due to a potential choking hazard that hand ties create and their inability to stand up to the hospital washers and dryers. All quilts have to be machine quilted for that same reason. Fleece is not acceptable because it causes static which can interfere with hospital equipment.

What size should the quilts be?

Approximately 38"- 40" x 45"- 46"

What type of batting should I use?

Please use LOW LOFT 1/8 to 1/4 inch batting. Cotton or poly or a combination of the two is acceptable.

Can I donate the quilts to a hospital/child in my area?

Unfortunately, no. All quilts made from quilt kits must be returned to headquarters for quality control and to make certain we have the proper data. Each quilt is carefully checked for pins and loose threads; if a quilt has not been washed, we do that, too. Careful records are kept regarding the number of kits sent out and the number of quilts returned to us. However, if there is a QFK chapter in your area, you may work with them; our chapters donate quilts to their local hospitals.

How should the quilt be quilted?

Having a lot of machine quilting in your quilt will help it hold up to the rigorous washings it goes through at the hospital. Please machine quilt in the borders as well as in the blocks, about every 2 inches or so.

Can you send me an extra label for my stash quilt?

In order to avoid the postage and handling of sending out separate labels, we have volunteers here at headquarters who sew labels on to the quilts that come in without them. To register your quilt on the Downy site, you may send us the name of your quilt along with your name, address, phone and email when you return the quilt. We will make sure the correct name shows up on your label.

I want to make a four-patch from my stash. What yardage do I need?

You will need 1-1/2 yards for the back, 1-1/4 yards of focus fabric, which includes the focus squares and the outer border, 1/4 yard for the inner border, and 3/8 yard each of two different colors for the four-patch blocks.

My quilt is ready to go. Where do I ship it?

Please send your finished quilt to:

Quilts for Kids, Inc.
11 Effingham Rd.
Yardley, PA 19067

Please include your name, address, phone number and email.

How can I find a chapter in my area?

On the Quilts for Kids homepage, go to "How to Help" at the top of the page and click on "Find a Local Chapter."

I tried to order a kit, but when I clicked on the "submit" buttom, I received an error message.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Perhaps your computer's security settings do not permit your access to this link. Simply email your request along with your name, address, phone, email, and how you heard about us to info@quiltsforkids.org.

"Official" Quilt Pattern Links: (you still need to click on "download pattern" to get the pattern in either PDF or Word format, unless otherwise noted)

Four Patch Quilt Pattern

Nine Patch Quilt Pattern

Pinwheel Quilt Pattern

NICU Quilt Pattern

Wheelchair Bag Pattern

Downy Touch of Comfort Heart Quilt (pdf)

Other Quilt Pattern Links you might like
Remember the recommended size is approximately 38-40" x 46-48" for the regular quilts and approximately 36 inches square for the NICU quilts. Some of these are probable close enough and others you may want to alter a little to get the dimensions a little closer.

Scrap Strip Squares Quilt

Nine Patch Lattice Quilt

Charm Squares Baby Quilt

This is cute but it's a little big, might want to alter a little:
Sweet Baby Quilt

This one is super simple but also a little big. I would leave off one column so it is rectangle and make the border a little smaller or leave it off all together:
Baby Girl Quilt

This would be great with a colored inner border instead of the prairie points, I can't see that those would be good in the hospital! This is the first quilt I made too:
Pinwheel Baby Quilt

This is only 28" x 36" but would be very simple to make 36" square for a NICU size:
Betty's Bowtie Quilt

Stacked Coins Baby Quilt

Streak of Sunshine Quilt

Fat Quarter Baby Quilt from Two Little Banshees With a 4 1/2 inch border added all the way around I think this would be the perfect size!

Half Square Triangle Baby Quilt Finishes at 40x45.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013 07:24:24 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010 02:36:55 PM »

I requested a kit and it came in on Tuesday.  Yesterday I got the patchwork part done.  I just need to add borders and the top will be finished.  I too want to make another to send back with this one.  Hopefully I can get these both finished up in the next month and shipped back out.  I would love to do at least one a month, maybe a kit one month and then something from my stash the next.  So I'd love to make a total of 10 for the year.  Might as well aim high.  (10 quilts in one year is a lofty goal in and of itself for me, for charity or not...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
JodiLynn85
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010 07:57:13 PM »

Horray for a quilt a long!!!

I ordered and completed and shipped back my first kit a while back (picture is here if you didn't see it in the other thread). They've since sent me three more kits (all at the same time) and I've completed pieced the tops to two of them. I just need to get some time in order to piece the top for the third one. Then off to buy basting spray and some coordinating fabric for a 4th I'd like to send back with them, quilt them, and send them back! I like the 10 per year goal. I think its definitely achievable since the quilts are so small. I kinda feel bad because I can't really make too many using my own fabric because I don't have kids, and so I'm not really buying kid-friendly fabric. And we're newly married and broke.  Cheesy

But I sure do love working with their fabrics. Its nice to see the designers donating their fabric, because then when I see that same line of fabric in the stores I'm more likely to look through the rest of that designer's line and see if there's anything I can't live without.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010 08:24:53 PM »

That's cool! I didn't know they would send more than 1 kit at a time...is that just after you have already sent one back so they know you're trustworthy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dancer4Ever
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010 08:57:15 PM »

I'm in. I just started working on my kit from them and I have tons of little kid fabric to make a few more to send back. Just need to hunt down my Joann's coupon and go and get some batting.

10 seems like a good goal. I'm hoping to finish the one I'm on this week and then none or two more over spring break.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bento Swap Round 4- Sent
MAF Round 6- Working on package 2
All Things Hayao Miyazaki Swap- watching movies and gathering ideas
June 2010 Birthday Swap- Crafting for a fellow June baby
Post Secret Swap- crafting away my secrets
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010 09:01:26 PM »

I got a ton of batting the other day! And these quilts are so small, they really don't take much. I think I will go through my stash tonight and see what fabrics I have to make good kids quilts.

So, has anyone received a pattern other than the 4 patch one? I'm just curious Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwbuggirlie
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010 01:44:11 PM »

Hooray!

I ordered my kit last month after reading the initial post. You can see the fabrics I was sent here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DpysKpfyLFw/S2iSQsYeanI/AAAAAAAAAaY/DVtp4GEg63o/s320/quilts+for+kids+1.jpg.  I was busy with work and class (working full-time and getting a master's degree full-time has really cut into my quilting time!) and I finally started working on it over the weekend. The pattern provided is super easy and the precut fabric makes it even easier! But...

I got all my blocks sewn together into rows and pressed and walked back to my sewing machine and my feed dogs stopped working. Just wouldn't work even though they had been working minutes earlier. Machine is in the shop now and needs a new gear. Super frustrating because she was JUST in the shop in early December and had 2 of her 4 gears replaced!

Anyway, I can't wait to finish the quilt once I have my machine back! I never thought to do the binding in the way described in the directions (using the back fabric and folding to the front) but it sounds easy and makes more sense so IV's do not get caught on the hand-stitched binding like I normally do.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013 09:16:38 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
JodiLynn85
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010 01:54:15 PM »

That's cool! I didn't know they would send more than 1 kit at a time...is that just after you have already sent one back so they know you're trustworthy?

Haha. They hadn't received my first one back yet when I ordered the second group. On the form where you sign up to have them send you one, it says to send them an email if you want more than one (for people doing more than one, or guilds, or families, or groups of friends, or whatever). So that's what I did, and just told them how many I needed!!

I got batting 50% when Joann's was having a sale a couple weeks ago. I just bought the low-loft queen size, as I think it'll get a couple of quilts out of it. Much much cheaper than buying them individually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010 03:32:17 PM »

I purchased a king size batting when they were 50% off at Joann fabrics. I calculated that you could carefully get 6 cut from it since it's 120x120. It came to under $2 each for the batting. It was a little puffier than the quilters dream that I usually use but cheaper. If you really want to go thin and smooth then get quilter dream. I think they want them more for snuggling rather than warmth anyways.

A bunch of folks have chatted on this link about the quilts.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=335354.0

I love the fact that the kits are pre-cut and in fun colors. Even though the pattern is really fast and easy to repeat. I'm just lazy that way. hehehe.

It looks like they will be getting a bunch of quilts from craftster folks Grin

above is what funthreads posted about the batting for the quilts she made for this, this is definetly what I am going to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010 04:19:38 PM »

I think the 4 patch quilt is the one they send to everyone but you don't have to follow the pattern for your second one...I think they wanted to make the simplest pattern to accomodate all levels of quilters...as long as the size is about the same and you care just as careful with making sure to quilt heavy and have no "obstacles" for the kids, they are fine...I have a very very simple pattern about the same size that uses rectangular blocks...I am going to do that for my next set of 2!

Thanks for starting this thread...it is very motivating and inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 2/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 4/12
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...