A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED] Take swaps out of "hot new projects"  (Read 8282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011 07:02:37 AM »

Merged similar threads.  Thanks, guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Jatoha
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011 05:46:04 AM »

I have another suggestion for this issue.

Could the photos on the front page have mouseover "tooltips" that state the title of the post?

Or maybe what forum it's from.

That way we could see if it's a swap before clicking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peppersaskatoon
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011 10:20:08 AM »

Pretty please, YES! I just counted 6 swap announcements among the 15 Hottest New Topics. I come to Craftster to be inspired by people's crafts, not their lengthy lists of rules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jatoha
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011 02:41:01 PM »

I have to honest, this issue makes me very cranky.  I've found myself not browsing the site the same way I used to.  I don't even want to click on the hot topic thumbnails because I am so often disappointed to find that the pic isn't a craft at all.

Anyway, I really wish this would get addressed.  I know you don't want to discourage swaps, but I feel that the site is moving more to be Swapster than Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peppersaskatoon
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011 01:18:28 AM »

Hi swappers!

I'm just hoping to open up a discussion here about something that is starting to bum me out about Craftster, my favorite of all the websites.

I like to get my daily (or hourly) Craftster dose by clicking the "Hottest New Topics" button and seeing 15 inspiring projects from all over the site. Lately, though, I've noticed that section getting a little, well, clogged with swap announcements. It isn't uncommon for a third of the topics to just be long lists of rules.

I'm curious how people who participate in swaps see this situation. (I wouldn't want to campaign against something other members love.) Is it important to you that swap announcements continue to be included in "Hottest New Topics" (or, for those that contain an image, in the "Hot New Projects" thumbnail feed on the home page)?  Would you be pleased with a separate "Hottest New Swap Topics" sort of feature, if that were an option? If it weren't possible to restructure the site, would swap organizers be open to working out some sort of compromise with people like me? Does my frustration even seem justified?

There is a similar discussion at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340110.0, but it seems to have stalled. (I did a search and didn't see any other mention of the issue, but my apologies if this is all old news to everyone.)

In any case, thank you for listening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
avocadoeldorado
Almost done, it just needs a...*&$%!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011 05:40:12 AM »

I agree with you and I am involved in swapping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011 08:41:54 AM »

Hey there!  It hasn't actually stalled.  We don't currently have the resources available to reconfigure and recode the homepage to allow for another area devote soley to swaps.  It's definitely still on our WIP list to find a solution, though! Smiley  We do want to find a compromise and get it implemented as time/resources allow.

We might merge these two topics in the future to avoid duplication.  It's always easier for us if all of the suggestion discussion is one continuous convo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011 08:45:41 AM »

Thanks for responding, avocadoeldorado. (Hey look, there's a pattern to our usernames.)

Thinking it over a little more, I think it's really the pictures that make this worth bringing up for me. (Other people who posted over in the "Craftster Itself" discussion seem to feel the same.) I'd be happiest if 14 out of 15 of the "Hottest New Topics" consistently turned out to be popular new projects. But what really makes all the swap announcements I see disappointing is how they so often start with a photo of a project, and I think I'm going to hear all about someone's creativity and hard work, and then it's just another, "Limited to a certain number of people? YES, 40, Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO."

So I guess a more focused question would be this: Are people attached to swap announcements being prettied up with an image? Would swap organizers be willing to leave them out in order to keep their posts from being misleading when they turn up elsewhere on the site?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011 09:05:05 AM »

Hi sweets4ever!

Thanks for the response. I just meant that things had gotten pretty quiet over in the other conversation, not that you'd stopped caring or anything. Smiley

I figured there might be an issue with lack of cash. (Personally, I'm ready to donate to the cause, but I'm low on funds myself and have no idea if enough other people care about this.) I really think I'd be happier if swap organizers agreed to forgo the cute images. As long as swappers know this is a topic of conversation (I know I'd never have noticed the "Craftster Itself" discussion if I hadn't specifically searched for it), I'll certainly understand if you want to merge topics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011 09:29:48 AM »

I personally like having an image associated with a swap because it makes it easier for me to find the swap/gallery I'm looking for when scrolling down a long list. But I do agree that swaps should not find their way into the hottest new topics. If there were a way to keep swaps out of that then I would be happy. I think swaps and new projects are so completely different (even swap galleries and new projects) and it would be nice if they were kept separate if possible.

I understand time and money come into play here, I'm just adding my 2 cents to the discussion piggy bank  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Manual Mode (M)
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Manual Focus Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set ISO Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Format Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Flash Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...