A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pouch sling tutorial  (Read 7555 times)
Tags for this thread: baby_sling , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

veri
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010 01:06:32 AM »

It looks very handy. I wish I had one of those when my five where little.

Keep the idea for the grandkids - your kids will be thankful Cheesy. I made one of this for a friend and anohterone for my neighbour - and she used it everyday as well - for the last 10 month! Grin She was so thankful that I couldn't belive! But her baby is like mine were - cried if put down so had to be carried around all the time. it really made a difference - even we heard - or better didn't hear anymore Wink (we live in an old block where you can hear everything your neighbours are doing if you care to listen Grin).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veri
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010 01:12:13 AM »

And, let it not go without saying that your kid is flawless!
She could sleep a bit more but apart from that you're quite right Grin Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danger.kitty
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010 03:01:37 AM »

I researched how to make pouch slings when I was pregnant but never got around to it.  I bought one instead.  I really do love using it and I think Wren does too.

The best tut/pattern I found was on Karma Baby:  http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php

Hope that helps those of you looking for a tut/pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
veri
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010 03:14:11 AM »

I looked at the tute and it is nice (I love the fabric:)) but I made mine differently and the pattern is also different.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 03:14:54 AM by veri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010 09:39:45 AM »

My girlfriend is having another baby this summer. I would really like to make her a sling because she already has a 1 year old! She's going to be a busy mama!!! I really like the style of sling you made and was wondering if you would be willing to share some tips and tricks.

Your babies are both beautiful BTW Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010 12:45:07 PM »

Thanks for the responce, everyone! The pattern is originally from Sew and go baby but I altered it a bit. If here will be a lot of interest I could make a tute since I have to do anotherone soon.

Yes Yes!  There's a lot of interest! (Well, from me at least...)

crafty canadian, my beloved "male" carried both our kids a lot - in tnis and other slings (that among other reasons is why I love him so - he really is the best dad there is). Accually he liked it so much that I decided to make another bigger version of the puch sling for him! It's made from zebra striped fabric and lined with soft natural calico. You wanna see thatone, too?

I'd love to see your significant male's sling too! I can see a version for my husband in Toronto Maple Leafs fabric or something.  He'd love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
crazydavises
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010 10:01:42 AM »

Me Too!  I would love to have a tute -- I have five kids, and use my homemade Moby wrap pretty frequently, but it's darn hard to get the kid in and out.  Yours looks so convenient!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join me in a taking a weekly date with Creativity.
http://creativitydate.com
veri
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010 01:59:21 AM »

I'll make a tute as soon as we manage to convince our camera to cooperate Grin. So have some patience, please because I don't know wether it'll have to visit a camera-doctor;)
In the meanwhile you can look at the winter sling variety here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340583.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veri
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010 04:40:12 AM »

Here is the long-promised tut for this kind of sling:

from this thread:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340068.msg3940960#msg3940960

Materials:
- 1,8-2 meters (70-78 in) of sturdy cotton canvas or denim
- 1,8-2 meters (70-78 in) of soft natural fiber fabric (make sure it's natural fiber, no synthetics if you make it for a baby) - brushed flannel works very well, but other cotton or natural fibers would work as well
- matching or contrasting thread
- sewing machine
- paper template
- pins, needles for machine, tape measure, fabric scissors,...

First make a paper template for the pattern that looks something like this:

Consider your height and overall size (taller and curvaceous people need longer length and bigger babies might be more comfortable in a bit wider sling). It can also be helpful to measure yourself: you take a string and put it like it was sling - across one shoulder and all the way around the back and front to form a closed loop - than you measure it.
I made my sling (seen in the upper photos) a medium length -  185 cm/73 in - but bare in mind that you only need half for the pattern as you'll put the fabric on fold to make it symmetrical. I am 168 cm tall (66 in) and more on the skinny side - normal weight (54 kg/119 pounds) so you get the picture. For my "Male" I made the pattern 2 in longer (he is 185 cm and 80 kg) and for my friend I made a  pattern 1 in shorter (that makes the sling 2 in shorter as you put the pattern on fold).
Here are the measurements that I have - I photoed the fabric because you can see it better as it's darker than the paper template - but they are both the same:
length - this one is for a friend who is shorter (less than 165 cm/65 in tall) so the pattern is 71-71 in long:

width - mine is 21,5 in and it fits newborn up to 1 year an more (I still can carry my 15 month old dd in it - but she's skinny - weights only 9 kg (20 pounds):

Notice that the upper part (where the fold is) isn't as wide as the bottom part. I'll check at home how wide I make it.

Once you decide on the length and the bottom width, make a gentile curve on the wide side - mine is 5,5 in deep:

Next you will need about 1,8-2 meters (70-78 in) of 2 different kinds of fabrics. If you're making a sling for a baby, specially if you're making it for a newborn I'd suggest you take brushed 100% cotton flannel for the inside - it's very cosy, doesn't irritate skin is soft and babies like it.

For the outside you'll need a REALLY STURDY fabric - I used tightly woven cotton canvas for the one on the upper pics and jeans (non stretch!) for the winter sling I posted in a different thread.

Note: for baby I use the heavy weight fabric on the outside and the soft light weight fabric on the inside but for the tut I was making a sling for a dog so I used the canvas on the inside so his claws wouldn't tear the sling apart and than I put a pretty lightweight fabric on the outside so the sling wouldn't be too heavy. Normally I'd turn I'd do vice versa.

Fold the fabric and put the pattern on with its straight edge on fold. Now draw around it with chalk if using dark fabric or simply with pencil if you're using light colored fabric. If your fabric slips and your pattern tends to move around you can weight it to the position using different heavy object (like tape stand;)

Cut it out:

This is what you'll get:

Repeat for the other fabric:

So now you have cut the outside and the inside fabric so you have two identical pieces twice as big as the pattern.

Good. Let's sew them together, won't we?

Just put the rights sides together (facing one another) and sew all around your sling with a straight stitch. Here you can see it pined, prepared to be stitched together:

Leave an opening large enough so you can turn the sling right side out - about 7 in should do. Leave a gap at the center (yes, it's better to be in the center - safer and nicer as it will get covered)

You get this (it's still wrong side out):

Next you secure your seam with a wide zig-zag:

Turn right side out:

and iron it (don't skip the ironing it will make next 2 steps much easier!) - you get something like that:

Now fold the sling  in half crosswise with its outside together (inwards) so that you match the two curved ends and pin them together:

Here I'm just showing you the end of the curve with the outside fabric on the inside:

Now pick the triple secure stitch and make sure you use a very strong thread (polyester is the best) as this seam will hold the baby so you really don't want it to be weak. Here is the stitch I use - it sews 3 times (forward, backward and another forward) for each stitch.

Make sure you use a wide seam allowance here - at least 1/2 in  - but that's minimum and suitable for people with good sewing skills. If you are newbie in sewing you take 3/4 minimum but 1 in would be better;)

Now stitch another regular straight stitch next to it (about 1/8 in apart) for security.

Open the seam and iron it again - this is done the easiest by using one of those ironing pillows (mine is homemade, instructions on burda site):

Now that you have the open seam - pin both sides of seam allowances like this:

Stitch both seam allowances down so the seam lies as flat as possible. This can be a bit fiddly and that's why I suggested you take big enough seam allowance in the previous step - it's much easier with big s.all.

When you reach the end you just follow the edge and stitch it down as you go:

Basically your sling would be useful now but it still needs a bit work to make it really great to wear:

Ok, now topstitch both edges of the sling using normal straight stitch, starting and stopping at the top where the fold was. I use the width of my foot for the seam allowance guide:

When you reach the cross seam at the bottom go back and forth for reinforcement:

Now it's just one final step: take your sling ant lay it flat on a hard surface so you can mark your middle - I do that by running my fingernail across the fold.

Now open the sling and fold the top part so that you can mark that fold as well.

This is how your marks will look on the underside - just a cross of pleats:

Now just fold the two sides to the middle so they touch eachother and aline the midlle parts of left and right side.

Pin the sides together so that the edges touch:

Sew with a wide shord zig-zag stitch a seam about 7 in long. It can be longer or shorter depending on your liking. If you make it longer the sling will be a bit more closed and if you make it shorter the pleats will be looser so it would be easier for you to put the baby in and out but it will be a bit less closed - I prefer it more closed because I have more secure feeling that she can't fall anywhere;) I guess it's just feeling but make it so you'll be comfortable.

This keeps the upper part padded and narower and makes a pouch more closed so the baby doesn't fall out.

Voila, you're done! Here is the sling hanging on the hanger in a crowded wardrobe of ours Grin:

I'll put more pics for the last part as soon as I can get my pics uploaded (I have some problems with that and we're trying to figure it out so please bare with me). I still wanted to at least write it because this might take a while and I promised this tute and I like to keep my promises;)

Now I just have to find the pics of the final reslut in action;)

If any of you make it, please let me know, I'd love to see the results!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010 08:36:03 AM by veri » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010 06:32:36 AM »

Thanks so much for posting this!   Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chris Matthews on Politics and His Book Tip and the Gipper
Debora Spar LIVE
Top 10 Romeo and Juliet Trivia
Courtney Thorne Smith on the New Atkins Made Easy
Greg Sestero on The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...