A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eclectic (read: random) maille jewelry  (Read 1224 times)
Tags for this thread: chain_maille , chainmaille , chainmail , chain_mail  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jaeliyah
« on: March 02, 2010 10:08:05 PM »

As I'm sure many of you know, Rings & Things just wrapped up its 2010 Your Designs Rock! contest.  I'm really proud of the pieces I entered, and I wanted to show you all.

This one is my favorite.  It's a little over 5 feet long.  It's gunmetal, and the weave is full persian punctuated with Swarovski crystals wrapped in half persian.

This one is fairly simple, but I like how it turned out.  The rings are silver plate and rubber O-rings wrapped in nylon thread, and the weave is GSG.

And this one I'm torn about.  It was inspired by the bracelets I've seen with the crystal bracelet in captive inverted round, and I thought it would be really cool to do a smaller chainmaille weave in captive inverted round, so this is yellow plated and gunmetal plated rings in a roundmaille weave and silver plated rings in a captive inverted round around them.  I didn't want the center part to look boring, so I went with two colors, and I question the wisdom of that because I feel like it's distracting.  Oh, well.  When I get a chance, I'll try it with one color and see if I like it better.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 12:07:16 AM by Jaeliyah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amparo1981
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010 02:39:32 AM »

stay with the two colors! I don't think they're distracting at all. Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010 03:26:08 AM »

So pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
sum1smuma
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010 05:15:53 AM »

Always trust your instincts. You make jewelry to make you happy and possibly ( like me ) to keep yourself sane..... so do what you like. I do love how only two colours  really shows the inside vs outside, you were right. These are all fantastic.
My fav is the super long one with the crystals. I love anything that serves two purposes and this has a ton of versatility in how you can wear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
Belruel

I heart-hands you

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010 06:52:47 AM »

absolutely beautiful, I *love* that first piece holy wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just joined Ravelry, let's be friends?
My Wists
Deepblue
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010 12:36:13 PM »

Those are fab! Could you point me in the direction of any good tutes, to start making chain maille? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jaeliyah
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010 02:40:10 PM »

Thanks, all, for the compliments and the encouragement!  A confidence boost is always helpful.

Deepblue, the site I find most helpful getting started is http://cgmaille.com/.  The tutorials and pictures are really clear.  Once you get to know a few weaves, http://mailleartisans.org/weaves/ is a great resource to find help with anything.  It just can be a bit difficult to wade through if you don't know where you want to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Save The Date Postcard
DIY Save The Date Photo Notecard
DIY Save The Date Calendar
How to Read a Knitting Patten
How to Understand Jupiter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...