A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sports bra...?  (Read 1283 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftCrazy13
« on: January 17, 2010 02:17:14 PM »

I am a rather well-endowed girl, who can't find a sports bra with decent support anywhere. I find it very uncomfortable for me to work out, or even walk fast because of the jiggling.

Looking online, it is very expensive to find any good plus-sized bra for under $50. Does anyone have any tips on making my own? Basically, I want full-coverage, with complete and total support, without looking like Madonna (pointy boobs? Not happening.)

I am pretty sure that I wear 40 DD or DDD (not quite sure, I think I have been wearing the wrong size). Any input would most appreciated, and would receive virtual Craftster *huggles*! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010 10:34:12 AM »

I only know one pattern for a sports bra and it's in the smaller sizes only.
You could look at Ezi Sew - 104, its a pattern for a cross your heart bra. I think its the best available alternative for a sports bra pattern.

Making bras in general pays off when you have a difficult size, though it can be quite frustrating at first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nolazombie
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010 08:01:02 PM »

I don't know on making one- but if you want a super-sports bra of steel, get an Enell. You can find them for under $50 if you shop around. I've worn them for horseback riding, and seriously- zero boob movement. They feel funky at first, but after wearing it a time or two, you get used to it.

Mine lasted forever, it was definitely worth the investment. Champion makes some decent ones too, but usually sportsbras are just a bad idea for bigger busts, hence the lack of them out there.

I think you'd be very disappointed in the effectiveness of it if you make one by enlarging a smaller pattern, and there just aren't patterns out there for ones like Enells.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdieSays
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010 05:15:51 AM »

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-2018&ids=171629744
This is hands down the best sports bra I have ever purchased. I still have mine from 1994, and although it's not something I'd want to be photographed in, it is still in good working order. $39.90 at Dover, about what I paid over a decade ago. They go up to a 40DD, but trust me, there's room for more. The one I bought was for a 34B and I wore it as a 32DD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftCrazy13
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010 07:49:21 AM »

Thanks for all the advice! I'll look into all of your suggestions and figure out what the best thing for me to do is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bmd1011
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010 09:05:35 AM »

I have been having the same problem lately (since I just started working out). CraftCrazy-let me know how things turn out if you make one yourself Smiley I'm going to try making one this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftCrazy13
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010 01:40:42 PM »

I haven't made one yet, as I was given some great advice by a woman at my ex-gym, which was to wear an older bra under a sports bra. That gives quite a bit of support. I am still hoping to make one when I have the time, but I am a student, so I don't have a whole lot of time. Measurements are key, though...make sure they are correct! Let me know how it goes, and have fun working out! (My gym just up and closed on me last week Cry)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010 06:00:41 AM »

I'm planning on messing around with a pattern for a normal bra, comparing it with a sports bra to make a pattern for a sports bra. When I'm done I'll share the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basketball Handicapping Bets Tips
Sports Betting Tips
How to Play Blackjack
Understanding Craps Terminology
Basketball Handicapping Bets
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...