A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mad Hatter's Special Blend Tea  (Read 860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Stephaniemonster

Finds herself to be far funnier than she really is

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2010 04:39:01 PM »

I came up with this idea as a way to afford stuffmas this last year and I think it turned out really well.  Everyone loves tea and most everyone in my family are big readers... I think I only had to make two bags without the label for my grandparents who just wouldn't get the reference. 

(No opium or wormwood! Sorry!)

Here's a close up on the label. 

I had a lot of fun putting these together.  I hand drew/ wrote out the label, found a picture from the book I really liked and had a graphic designer friend help me put it all together.  In case you can't make out the bottom it says, "but all he said was, 'why is a raven like a writing desk?'"  The best part was that it was SUPER CHEAP to make.  I think they all averaged... $2 each after everything that went into putting them together.  It helped that I had most of the tea components already. 

Originally I wanted to use black tea and like some other crazy herb (not to actually make you mad) but something that would give it that zing of totally different.  I ended up using earl grey (hot) and lavender because it was what I had laying around and I was super broke this last stuffmas.  But just like all projects I accidentally ran out of tea (I had to make like... 40 of these sets!) and the Russian grocery store that I had purchased the bulk, super good, super cheap earl grey was out!  So I ended up finishing the rest with black tea (I just so happened to have) and ginger from pre-bagged tea.  It actually was exactly what I had in mind initially so if I was ever doing this project again I think I would use my latter recipe instead. 

The tea bags I found at my favorite Japanese dollar fifty store (Daiso).  You can get a pack of like... 90 tea bags for $1.50. Cheesy  I also found a mini stapler there to secure my tea bags and I was set.  I think I ended up putting 8 tea bags per package (it also helps that they're really big tea bags.)

I think I might put these up on Etsy one of these days (I have to find out if Alice in Wonderland is in the free domain or not... I'm pretty sure it is...) 

Now I'll have to come up with some other type of book + tea to make for next year!  Thanks for looking~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010 04:56:02 AM »

That's super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
blackie.sage
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010 10:38:33 AM »

Ahh! I love the idea! I had been toying with the idea of making my own tea blend for stuffmas, but I was like "What best describes my taste?" Blackberry. Sage. Oh wait, that's just the tea I buy anyway. hahaha.

I'm crying inside right now. I miss Daiso soooo much. I went to the one in Seattle at least once a week when I lived there. Now I'm all the way out in the middle of nowhere southern Minnesota and can't even find nori without an hour and a half drive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
Stephaniemonster

Finds herself to be far funnier than she really is

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010 11:32:41 AM »

Ahh! I love the idea! I had been toying with the idea of making my own tea blend for stuffmas, but I was like "What best describes my taste?" Blackberry. Sage. Oh wait, that's just the tea I buy anyway. hahaha.

I'm crying inside right now. I miss Daiso soooo much. I went to the one in Seattle at least once a week when I lived there. Now I'm all the way out in the middle of nowhere southern Minnesota and can't even find nori without an hour and a half drive!

Thanks!  Dang!  Lame Minnesotans... no Daiso!  I couldn't even imagine that. :<  We'll just have to swap stuff from time to time so you can get your nori fix.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Healthy Blueberry Chocolate Cupcakes
Ginger Snap Cookies with Ground Black Pepper
How to Make a Healthy Chocolate Pudding
The Perfect Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
How to Make Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...