A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage dress pattern help?  (Read 681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawtmamah
« on: March 01, 2010 12:49:16 PM »

So... i'm making this dress for my wedding in 2011. It's crocheted using organza ribbon and then the pattern simply says:

"Pin out dress. Mount on nylon tulle (3 yards) which has been cut to shape, and fitted with darts at bodice. Sew zipper extending to underarm of bodice. Sew ribbon inside waistline." (i'm assuming they mean to attach the tulle to the crocheted ribbon at the waistline because there's no ribbon used anywhere else)

K. Soooo i've never sewn anything more than a travel tissue holder. I have NO idea how to make a dress out of 3 yards of tulle! here's a pic from the pattern:

I have a sewing machine. I'm thinking i'm going to put some kind o cotton fabric between my body and the tulle. lol. but... i don't know where to begin on this! help? tia!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rossie
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010 02:50:59 PM »

Oh how deceptive those old instructions are!  No way is that dress just crochet mounted on tulle.  It's got to have at least a petticoat, internal belt, boning and probably some pretty serious foundation garments. 

My recommendation would be to get yourself a good pattern with that nice silhouette and make a mock-up with cheap fabric to test the fit and support.  Then you can cut it out in the cotton lining for your actual dress, and piece by piece, cover them in a layer of the tulle/crochet.  Tack it down nice and stable, then sew your dress together. 

You could always purchase a plain dress and add the layer of crochet by draping, etc. 

The dress really is beautiful.  The organza crochet is stunning, and I really hope that you post pictures as you go so we can all drool! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
hawtmamah
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010 06:48:27 PM »

Oh how deceptive those old instructions are!  No way is that dress just crochet mounted on tulle.  It's got to have at least a petticoat, internal belt, boning and probably some pretty serious foundation garments. 

My recommendation would be to get yourself a good pattern with that nice silhouette and make a mock-up with cheap fabric to test the fit and support.  Then you can cut it out in the cotton lining for your actual dress, and piece by piece, cover them in a layer of the tulle/crochet.  Tack it down nice and stable, then sew your dress together. 

You could always purchase a plain dress and add the layer of crochet by draping, etc. 

The dress really is beautiful.  The organza crochet is stunning, and I really hope that you post pictures as you go so we can all drool! 

that's what i was thinking too! there's no way it's just layers of tulle tacked underneath the crochet. lol. how would it stay up!? my mom and i are going to be making the 'under' part of the dress together, and our sewing skills are fairly negligible... like you suggested, she mentioned finding a pattern for a sleeveless dress to use underneath and add the tulle over top, then add the crochet over that.

i will definitely be posting pics here, in my thread in the wedding forum and on my personal blog once i get it started. i just found a store online to order the twenty two 100 yard spools of ribbon i will need for the crochet portion of the dress Shocked lol. i might have to wait a month to get the stuff ordered though. it's going to cost about $200 for the ribbon.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about ISO Sensitivity
How to use the Metering Mode - Canon 40D DVD
How to work with shutter Speed
How to Change Your Focus Squares - Canon 40D
How to use the Canon Rebel XSi DVD - Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...