A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: death from above 1979 stencil - 8 big pics  (Read 1352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

omgmarissa
« on: June 04, 2010 10:31:56 AM »

hello all! i used freezer paper to recreate the death from above 1979 album art on a t-shirt. i took pictures of the process, sort of. i am really proud of it and it is probably my most detailed stencil.

this is the finished image! i am so proud of it!

first i traced the image onto freezer paper using a pencil and laying the freezer paper on top of my laptop screen. Smiley this is the ridiculous way of doing it since i don't have a printer.

then i started cutting out the pieces, carefully remembering which pieces to save and which were going to be painted and therefore could be thrown away.

then i ironed the pieces onto the shirt. OMG this was a pain. i did not use the bridge technique because there would be tons of bridges and i sometimes forget to fill a few in. i just carefully positioned all the pieces, using the picture i traced as a guide, onto the shirt and ironed them down making sure not to move the iron fast before the wax was melted.

JEEZ. i agreed to make this shirt for a  friend, and i never realized that an elephant's trunk had so much DETAIL in it. i made sure to iron the paper down for a whiiile to ensure the wax was completely sealed to the shirt.

i put paint on the whole thing, using very light layers and letting each one dry before doing the next. i use a sponge brush and dab it up and down, not with strokes.

then i pulled off the freezer paper when everything was dry! there are some spots that could use more paint, but i opted for less because i was worried it would bleed under the freezer paper. sometimes i use too much paint and it saturates the paper and ruins the seal between wax and shirt. then the paint goes under the edge and gives sloppy lines.

using freezer paper to stencil on fabric is so easy, i love it. please comment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelayla82
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010 11:21:07 AM »

Very detailed work.  I'm jealous with how crisp the lines are.  I could never pull something like that off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010 06:42:03 PM »

Awesome detail! You have an amazing amount of patience, I would've told my friend to pick a different image, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MichelleT
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010 05:41:30 PM »

Just gorgeous. Very professional
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Shuttle on a Loom
How to Make a Baby-Headed Dancing Frog
How to Ply Yarn
How to Weave Tartan Fabric
How to Look After Your Spinning Wheel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...