A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two-for-one table makeover w/Tute  (Read 1649 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Deeder
« on: February 28, 2010 07:57:14 AM »

When a friend moved out of state last year, she asked me if I wanted her dining room table. Honestly, I didnít need a dining room table (this one was a little small for my growing family), but I canít say no to something free. Also, I had an idea on how to transform that table into something more useful for me ó a pair of half-table consoles.

I got the idea for the consoles from a combination of one of the home makeover shows on HGTV and a tutorial from Martha Stewart. The project is simple and requires few tools, especially if the table has a split down the middle for a leaf. This is also a good project for a table that is missing a leg, or one that is scratched or otherwise damaged. As long as half the table is intact, it can be transformed.

1. First, extend the table (open it) and sand all surfaces. Wipe it down with a damp cloth when youíre finished to remove any dust. Then paint the table in whatever color you desire. I went with white, since it matches any decor, but if you are painting over a dark table, youíll probably need to prime it first. I think itís easier to paint the table before you take it apart, because at this point it stills stands on its own.

2. Once the paint is dry, turn the table upside down and unscrew or unbolt the extension pieces from either side of the table. Lay an old blanket down first so you donít scratch or chip the paint. I saved those pieces of wood that attached the two sides of the table and used them in the next step.

3. Place a piece of wood (the piece I used was about 1 inch thick and 6 inches long) in the center of the straight edge of the table, or the edge that will be placed against the wall. Drill three evenly spaced holes through the piece of wood and into the table bottom, making sure you donít drill through to the top of the table. Screw the piece of wood securely into the table.

4. Place the table against the wall in the location you want it, making sure it is level. It helps to have a second person here to hold the table in place while you attach it to the wall. Drill at least three holes through the wood piece underneath the table into the wall. Be sure to not hit the other screws that are attaching that piece to the table. Attach the table to the wall with screws, and youíre done.

I used one of the tables in my dining room and the other in the nursery to hold various baby items:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

heatheres76
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010 07:26:20 PM »

Neat idea! I have an old dining room table in my garage that could use a makeover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karen09
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010 07:57:00 PM »

this is adorable!!! i love it! i wish i came across cool free stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.
Looking to swap for an old skeleton key!

also looking for a penpal, i want to make friends all over the world!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try Out Bangs Without Making The Cut!
70s Disco Hair Trend from Fashion Week
How to Thicken Your Hair on Any Budget
How Much Damage Are You Doing To Your Hair?
Are Robots The Key To Battling Hair Loss?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...