A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Costume  (Read 884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HappieHina
it's "Hina!"

Crayons can melt on us for all I care.

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2010 07:33:33 PM »

Hello all. I am going to A-Kon 21 this year in June, and I have bravely (or perhaps foolishly?) decided to make my costume. I am going to cosplay as Sakura from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, specifically her cherry blossom costume. This specific scan is a little darker than the real image (I have the artbook). I've done some investigating and come across several rather good versions of this costume here, here, and here. I have several questions regarding how I should go about making this costume, because I want to make it really well...

1. Material suggestions? I want to use something that suits the costume but is not cheap - no thin shiny satin or flimsy fabric.
2. How should I make the costume - as one whole dress, or two parts, what?
3. How to make the sleeves? These are my biggest concern. If you notice, it is a puffy bell-shape at the top, going down into a large flared end, but there is another sleeve underneath. I don't know if is one entire sleeve or two parts. I don't know how to make a puffy sleeve, much less make one that has puffy tops and then continues out (like long sleeves you know?).
4. How should I attach the bells? If you also notice these are all attached to small triangles of fabric. I don't want those to be flimsy (I assume maybe I should reinforce them with interfacing perhaps?) but I'm not sure how to attach the bells to it.
5. Also, if anyone can provide information on how to do the trim, that would be helpful. (Is it bias tape or what?)

I don't want to seem like a n00b, I just want to make sure I have as much information in my hands as I can before I start the costume. I want to make it well and do Sakura justice ^_^ Thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--How are your rough drafts coming?
--They're rough - so rough, that the paper I'm gonna use is still a tree.

wist
http://www.wists.com/happiehina
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010 05:24:47 PM »

One of the costumes you liked says she used gabardine for the panels, so that's one fabric suggestion. I always like just going and feeling fabrics to see what would flow similar to how I want it to look.
I think whether you want to make a single dress or multiple pieces is personal preference. Attaching the pieces into one, even if you decided to make them separate, would keep them from shifting when you move.
For the sleeve, you're going to need to make a regular short puff sleeve, then attach the flared sleeve to that. If you notice in the costumes you posted, they have seams under the puffs even though the reference art doesn't because seams don't exist in the clamp universe most of the time but have to exist in real life of course. There's some tutorials around on turning a regular sleeve pattern into a puffed sleeve, I don't have one on hand to link you to but if you search for puff sleeve tutorial you should find some. I'd say in the original artwork, The inside and outside sleeve is two separate pieces, since there's a shadow between them, but the costumes all just attach a strip of the darker fabric around the edge of the lighter sleeve and line the whole sleeve in the medium color. Again, this is something that's personal preference and whether you think it would be easier to make two bottom sections of sleeve or just one with an edging. If you do two, you'd have to tack them together so they don't shift, so I think the edging like in your examples might be easier.
The bells, you can just hand sew them on to the end of each triangle perhaps with a bead between the triangle and bell or you can get some black thread (something thick like crochet thread or embroidery floss... maybe even thicker), pull the thread through the bottom of each triangle with a needle then tie the bell on so the knot forms the little black ball above each bell. It doesn't look like the triangles are interfaces on the examples, two layers of fabric might be enough alone since they're pretty small. The bells weigh the triangles down so they hang straight.
Bias tape for the gold trim is a good idea. Probably the easiest option.
I wish I could help you more, but hopefully that at least gets you started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010 06:08:53 AM »

You can actually make the outer sleeve as one piece by drafting a leg-of-mutton for the top (as opposed to a puff-sleeve) and then flaring it into the bell shape. Then make a straight sleeve and attach it and the outer sleeve to the armhole at the same time. Where's that website...

http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-04.html#mutton
http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/4x-lgcm/lgcm-11.html#mutton

Those two pages should be helpful specifically for how to draft a mutton sleeve, but those e-books in general are EXTREMELY useful. That website is AMAZING.

General comments: I haven't seen the anime, but I think something crepey for the main white part of the dress. I dunno, I just keep seeing that gorgeous silk fabric from Japan that has that awesome texture to it that they call chirimen. Hard to say without seeing it in motion, so to speak.

*EDIT* Found some COTTON chirimen:

http://www.fabrictales.com/STORE/store.cgi?cart_id=8869419.1750.s0&product=cotton_chirimen&productid=scc1&sales=0&lastmenu=

Didn't even know cotton chirimen existed.

Construction wise, I'd do it as a separate top and skirt. Firstly, it would be easier to get into and out of. Secondly, you notice the top part has the "kimono" thing going on, but that's not continued in the skirt portion, which leads me to believe it's intended to be a separate skirt worn over a kimono-type top.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 06:10:41 AM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Holiday Photo Card Ornament
How to Make Christmas Gift Card Holder Ornaments
How to Make Lanterns Out of Jam Jars
How to Make a Cork Picture Frame
How to Create a Cake Stand
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...