A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lets make the other runners jealous hat! (a long but extremely apt name)  (Read 948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JillianJ1016
I love crochet!

I'm a sleep zombie! I need sleep ... I need sleep

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2010 09:54:09 PM »

My brother is a runner, he has ran the San Fransisco Marathon 3 times, and when he was home at Christmas he declared that he wanted a custom hat to make the other runners jealous. He started going on and on about the expensive hats that wear for status. He specifically wanted a large hole in the top to let out steam and wanted it to cover his ears, he also wanted to make sure it would fall off when it was full of sweat (gross). I kept putting it off but since his wife went ahead and bought the yarn I felt obligated to finish it and I did, the night before he went back to California. He was pretty happy with it and excited to make the other runners jealous of his "custom made" hat.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pizza Hut and Taco Bell! It's a multicultural journey! - Courtney Tejral
Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010 02:49:21 AM »

That's a pretty darn good hat! You have a good eye to free hand it to his specification.

Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belruel

I heart-hands you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010 03:13:38 AM »

it came out very well! i really like the shape of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just joined Ravelry, let's be friends?
My Wists
hotfudge
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010 05:56:04 AM »

Very cool.  I could totally use something like that when running.  Any chance you could share how you made it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JillianJ1016
I love crochet!

I'm a sleep zombie! I need sleep ... I need sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010 11:58:14 AM »

Thanks for all the encouragment I have only ever free handed hats for myself before (and they were never this complicated). The only reason I can give that it turned out so well is that my brother is a perfectionist rocket scientist had each detail of the had planned out and many suggestions when we were having him try it on.

To make it I started at the top with a giant magic circle that had to be resized several time after putting all the dc in (the yarn in the magic circle was pulled as tight as it could so that it would stretch anymore any fall down). After I got the top fitted I started increasing occasionally ( I didn't have any sort of design I just increased when I fell like it). After I did the first three rows and had him try it on he decided that he didn't want it much longer in front but a lot longer in back so I felt like it was a good time to switch colors. I started the blue just in front of his ears and dc in a row. I think I decreased at the beginning and the end of each row to get the circle shape at the side. After about two rows of the blue I decreased intermediately in the next three rows (making sure to have the decreases on the ends also for shaping). Then to smooth it all out and make the front and back look cohesive I did one last row of dc all around the hat. I didn't make a patter so I can't give you that but I can tell you that if you are making for yourself or someone else to try it on after every one or two rows so you don't have to go frogging for half the hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pizza Hut and Taco Bell! It's a multicultural journey! - Courtney Tejral
poppycock!!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010 01:27:28 PM »

I love this, it's hard to find good things to craft for men or that are uni-sex. I think I'll try to do something like this for my boyfriend who also runs alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Robin
How to Draw Riko Yuusaki
How to Draw Rex Salazar
How to Draw Rayquaza
How to Draw Professor Fransworth
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...