A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: one yard of fabric= great dress  (Read 24037 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010 02:46:52 PM »

this is really cute , thanks for the tute , I may have to try this one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cicile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010 11:34:11 PM »

i'm curious about the back - does it have a cowl-ish draping effect in the back? i've been looking at your tutorial and thinking of making a dress for myself. but i was wondering about the back of the "top" part and think i might be missing something. if the elastic is at the top of the "bottom," what prevents the top of the "top" from gaping in the back? or did you cut your "top" much narrower than your "bottom"?

I have the same questions, I think I missed something in the tutorial  Huh
But, here is how I did it : My top is narrower than the bottom, I put all the gathers in the back in order to get a "slim fit".

So I didn't use any elastic at all, I cannot figure how to keep the elastic effect if I sew something narrower next to the bottom part. (I hope it's clear).   As I said, I had to open the dress in the back (I used a button to close it), otherwise I cannot get in or out of the dress  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010 12:46:06 PM »

thanks for your feedback, cicile! i'm wondering if i can get around having to have a zipper or button by adding another piece of elastic in the back of the top. that way, no gapping and still able to slide the dress on over my head. i have a store-bought sundress with a similar design to it, and it has to "rows" of elastic. now i guess i know why! Smiley i'll let ya know how if works out if i can get to it later this week. i'm busy working on a new purse today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
weebear
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010 11:35:46 PM »

im new to this website.... i know this is random but how do you make a new post? im trying to make a post: i made this dress (first clothing i ever made!!:]) and i cant figure out how to make a new post/topic!!! help?? (btw this was what inspired me to start sewing :} a.k.a: I LOVE your design!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mf_ochoa
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010 11:23:24 PM »

Fantastico!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lalakittyla
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010 06:22:40 AM »

wish I could wear a dress made from one yard of fabric.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hajime
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010 11:44:27 PM »

Hey guys, I'm new here... and I think this will be the 1st dress I try to make!!

It reminded a lot of this dress Zhang Ziyi (girl in Memoirs of a Geisha, Crouching Tiger, etc.) wore to Cannes:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-05/24/content_598946_2.htm

I *loved* this dress on her! Rare to find a neckline that works well and is sexy for petite girls of this build. Can't wait to make this dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
delainie

I'm baaaaack! Once known as Spazzy...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010 10:45:33 AM »

I just whipped up a shirt version of this using a lightweight knit - so cute!  Only took about 20 minutes and I'm already wearing it! Thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home of the Ninja Pants and so much more!
http://delainie.etsy.com

Just me rambling blog style:
http://shinyhappyfitofrage.blogspot.com
princessXpunk
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010 06:55:32 PM »

i really like it Smiley im definitely going to give this a shot
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i ran w/ scissors, and look how i turned out
cicile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010 01:27:28 AM »

i'm curious about the back - does it have a cowl-ish draping effect in the back? i've been looking at your tutorial and thinking of making a dress for myself. but i was wondering about the back of the "top" part and think i might be missing something. if the elastic is at the top of the "bottom," what prevents the top of the "top" from gaping in the back? or did you cut your "top" much narrower than your "bottom"?

I have the same questions, I think I missed something in the tutorial  Huh
But, here is how I did it : My top is narrower than the bottom, I put all the gathers in the back in order to get a "slim fit".

So I didn't use any elastic at all, I cannot figure how to keep the elastic effect if I sew something narrower next to the bottom part. (I hope it's clear).   As I said, I had to open the dress in the back (I used a button to close it), otherwise I cannot get in or out of the dress  Roll Eyes

I made a new version of this dress here : http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=364700.0
This time, the opening is a corset inspired thing (also the skirt part has an elastic band in the back). Now it's easy to get in and out of the dress. AND... I think it looks cute  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Budget Your First Movie
How to Write Your First Movie
How to Make a Storyboard
How to Make a Music Video
How to Produce Videos on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...