A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dandewine--dandelion wine! with an instructional video!  (Read 47614 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , dandelion , ferment , alcohol , flower , recipe , craftster_best_of_2010 , drink  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2012 09:17:23 AM »

There is one thing that concerns me tho: unlike in France here in Scotland it is still freezing cold, so i wouldn't really get it up to  a high enough temperature for the initial fermentation. Instead of using dried flowers (or pick the older ones in summer), could I just pick, clean and then freeze the flowers? Utnil it is warm enough here - which is soon I hope, getting sick of that weather. Any ideas?

also, for your ferment in the open bottles, do you cap them with anything to keep the dirt/flies/... out?

I was drinking beer across Germany and Czech Republic during the fermentation process, but if I had been back on the farm I would have covered the open bottles with fabric, or old stockings, or something to keep out the ants. Ex-boyfriend however did not do these things, so we just strained the dead ants out at the end. It was a rustic lifestyle, to say the least.

As for the freezing, I imagine it could work. Sadly I only made wine this one time, and though it was a definite success I am not an expert!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012 01:31:00 PM »

Oh that sounds fantastic! I so want to make this! Thanks for sharing - and thanks for reviving, too, haha!

There is one thing that concerns me tho: unlike in France here in Scotland it is still freezing cold, so i wouldn't really get it up to  a high enough temperature for the initial fermentation. Instead of using dried flowers (or pick the older ones in summer), could I just pick, clean and then freeze the flowers? Utnil it is warm enough here - which is soon I hope, getting sick of that weather. Any ideas?

also, for your ferment in the open bottles, do you cap them with anything to keep the dirt/flies/... out?

Oh I am so excited now. told the BF already and he just shrugged. grmgrmlll ... men... he'll be dragged out for a long weekend through the fields tomorrow, haha!

I have seen many types of yeasts that prefer a cooler fermentation. You may want to try this and keep the batch in the basement (if you have one) with a more consistent temp. for control.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Slip into Long Sleeve Dresses
3 Ways to Wear Eye-Catching Embellishments
3 Ways to Crush on Velvet
3 Leather Looks That Are Super-Sleek and Super-Chic
3 Ways to Wear a Camo Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...