A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dandewine--dandelion wine! with an instructional video!  (Read 45132 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , dandelion , ferment , alcohol , flower , recipe , craftster_best_of_2010 , drink  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thecatsaysquack
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010 08:06:24 PM »

I just started a batch of this this past weekend!  Picking the flowers out of the dandelions took ages, and caused a brief panic when we discovered a few ticks had made it into the basket with them, but it's currently starting it's primary fermentation.  My family does a fair bit of home brew wine, including a particularly nice blackberry wine last summer, so we were wondering what specific gravity means it's done?  Or is it just a rough time estimate kind of thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2010 11:55:25 PM »

When my husband and I brew mead we are a bit chaotic. We aren't concerned about the alchohol content limitations so we usually let it ferment untill it stops the first time rack it into another bottle and then store it at least a year, (more if we are able to keep our friends away from it) and then bottle as we need to. Mead is extreemly forgiving but it takes a ton of patience to wait for it to peek in flavor. Herbal meads take longer than fruit meads and we believe that flowers are considered herbal. A 5 year is usually really nice. But, we never have any idea of the level of alchohol other than by the type of yeast. If we actually took measurements before and after we would probably have a better idea.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecatsaysquack
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2010 10:03:01 PM »

Thanks, tomico - that was really helpful!  We've done a lot of regular wines and a few fruit wines, but there we tend to rely on specific gravity for the end points.  The only person in my family who's ever even tried dandelion wine before is my late grandmother who apparently made it fantastically well, but unfortunately for us she never wrote down her recipes, so cautious people that we are, we worried that if we let it ferment too long it would end up undrinkably dry.  We ended up giving it about 9 or 10 days fermentation in the end; the yeast activity took a nosedive towards day nine so we figured it was probably done. Smiley  I love mead, by the way - is it particularly difficult to make, or just time consuming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2010 08:24:36 PM »

Mead is very easy. It just takes time and it's just a bit on the more expensive side since you need to use honey as a base. We found we could buy clover honey in bulk at Costco and we go to SCA events where there is a vender that sells honey in bulk. The vender even sometimes has heather honey. PM me and I'll chat your ear off and try to give some recipes.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carol74
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010 08:52:23 AM »

Great! Again, in picking up dandelions outside it should be spray free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MelodyRose
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2010 03:31:53 PM »

How much green did you leave in?  Some sources say you shouldn't use any at all, some say just a little...  I'm REALLY not looking forward to trimming each bloom (they're already picked and rinsed, waiting to be boiled as we speak). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MelodyRose
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010 03:40:41 PM »

Nevermind--I read closer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardyjenni
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2010 10:47:41 PM »

love the video!  Could you put cheesecloth over the jug to keep ants out?  do you think that would work, or is the weave too wide?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
drea1326
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2010 02:37:27 PM »

when do u add the yeast?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2010 03:51:50 PM »

when do u add the yeast?

After the flowers are strainded, with the spices.

Has anyone had some yummy success with this recipe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Hair Removal Expert Cindy Barshop
Fergie Says VIVA Avon! For New Perfume Ads
Lady Macgyver: Turning Your Home Into A Spa
Beauty and Style Tips: Year in Review 2012
Get Glamorous in Minutes for Your Office Holiday Party
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...