A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dandewine--dandelion wine! with an instructional video!  (Read 47366 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , dandelion , ferment , alcohol , flower , recipe , craftster_best_of_2010 , drink  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ex_Gratia

I sew therefore I am

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010 03:24:52 PM »

Mmm delicious! I must try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy please! I'd love to have feedback from other crafters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlippantFlapper?ref=ss_profile
lilgothkatt
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010 04:19:14 PM »

I would really like to try this but I live in the city and I only see dandelions on the curbsides. There is however a nice herb shop in a nearby town. They carry dried dandelions blossoms. Could I substitute those? How much do you think I would need?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonkeys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010 04:44:19 PM »

I would really like to try this but I live in the city and I only see dandelions on the curbsides. There is however a nice herb shop in a nearby town. They carry dried dandelions blossoms. Could I substitute those? How much do you think I would need?

I don't think so! When you boil the flowers you use that juice to make your wine. The dried flowers would have the juice taken out. Maybe it's a good excuse to get out of town for the weekend? Bring the bikes and find a field of flowers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShiningStar
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010 04:52:16 PM »

When I saw this post it made me smile Smiley.  Years ago my grandfather told me when he was a boy his mother and grandmother made dandelion wine. He had to go out to do errands.  He he came back his mother and grandmother were drunk.  They were laughing loudly and staggering all over the place.  That happend in the 1920' or 1930's.  So, thanks for the smile and the memory of the story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010 05:43:27 PM »

Technically you aren't actually using the juice (you would have to juice the dandelions to extract the liquid if you wanted to do that) you are making a strong tea of them and you could do that with dried blossoms. Dried flowers have only had the water taken out of them, not the flavour. You would need to use way less than the fresh amount the recipe calls for though. It's worth googling to see if there is a recipe out there.

Thanks for the post, some day I'll actually make all the wines I've been dreaming of...

One question though, in your instructions it doesn't say what to do with the yeast beyond mixing it with warm water and setting it aside. I'm sure it's in the video but it's not in the post anywhere.

Thanks again, looks like fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
stellaheartocean

inappropriate in every way imaginable

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010 06:19:39 PM »

This looks like so much fun! I'm not even a wine drinker and I really, really want to try this out. Hurry up spring...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gunstreetgirl on Ravelry
www.varnishedvalkyrie.blogspot.com
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2010 06:36:50 PM »

One question though, in your instructions it doesn't say what to do with the yeast beyond mixing it with warm water and setting it aside. I'm sure it's in the video but it's not in the post anywhere.

Thanks again, looks like fun.

Add it in the dandelion mix in the carboy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2010 08:33:50 PM »

Yes, there's a reason you can't buy diet wine: the sugar isn't there to make it sweet, it's there to make it ferment. Yeast only likes the real thing, not Sucralose, Stevia or Splenda!  Tongue

That being said, I'm sure with a bit of experimentation you could reduce the amount of sugar to the minimum needed to work. It might also reduce the alcohol level somewhat.

I've never heard of using dried dandelion petals, but I can't think of a single reason why it wouldn't work. The only tricky part would be getting the volume of petals right. The flavour should be pretty much the same.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rogueknitter

Well-behaved women seldom make history.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010 12:05:02 PM »

Eeep!  This is awesome!

I'm preggo right now...if I make this when our dandelions pop up it will be ready right after I have the baby and can have a glass of wine again (finally!!!!)!!!

I am so all over this one!  Thanks for the instructions/inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010 12:40:39 PM »

Awesome! Thank you! My Great Grandma used to make dandelion wine. I can't wait for summer to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Holiday Wreaths
Homemade Halloween Costumes
Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...