A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dandewine--dandelion wine! with an instructional video!  (Read 48121 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , dandelion , ferment , alcohol , flower , recipe , craftster_best_of_2010 , drink  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Oprah Winfrey

stitching the hell out of pop culture icons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2010 05:30:26 PM »

Oh geez. I think I added the yeast at the wrong time? I started my batch last night, but I assumed the yeast/warm water went directly into the mix since it was the first thing listed to do. I didn't think it would be set aside for two days, then added after the flowers were strained. Did I do this wrong? Do I have to start over? Blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010 12:10:39 PM »

I haven't paid attention to the recipe but I believe the yeast issue is not that serious so long as it was a cold fermentation and you didn't cook the wine. That kills yeast. Some wines rely on wild yeasts and maybe the sitting aside for a while invites some wild yeasts. My husband has a nasty habbit of boiling our mead so it breaks down some of the subleties in the flavor. Cold fermentation has it's own risks with bacterias occationally getting into the brew and ruining the batch. Maybe someone else with different experiences may be able to answer. My only knowledge has been making mead and reading about house wines and wild yeast brewing. 

Again I don't think you've ruined it, but if you are concerned that you filtered out the yeast wait a couple days and if it doesn't seem to be active, just add another pack of yeast. Just make sure you keep notes on everything you do so you know in a year what you did and you are able to duplicate or trouble shoot.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010 12:22:08 PM »

I would also think that you could just add more yeast. Unfortunately I'm not the expert on this! I only made it once over a year ago and it was my friend who wrote the recipe (although we did develop it together). I wish I had more experience, but unfortunately living in a small apartment in Los Angeles means making that much wine and even finding the flowers just about impossible. Maybe next year I'll try to make it work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oprah Winfrey

stitching the hell out of pop culture icons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010 01:13:17 PM »

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate your feedback and support! I went ahead to the next step and added the sugar/zest/cloves last night. This morning it was bubbling nicely, so I'd say it is fermenting just fine. I'm definitely making notes so I'll know what I'm doing next time.

I'm so glad you posted this recipe though. I never would have thought to make it, and my mother is thrilled - she said her father used to make dandelion wine, and she is now digging through her stuff for his recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alorralora
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2010 05:48:55 PM »

umm..I don't know if I could do this.  I had a friend who once decided to serve me dandelion greens, and she failed to wash them completely, so there were little "friends" running from the dressing.  so, I'm kind of turned off to eating dandelion anything.  Also, aren't they a bit bitter from the sap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2010 08:48:48 PM »

Dandelion greens are way different than the flowers. I don't care for the greens at all, but that's part of the reason I de-petaled the flowers rather than using the whole heads. Also, this is mostly sugar, so all that sweetness counteracts whatever bitterness might make its way into the brew.

When I was living in France (where we made the wine) we our salads straight from the backyard, so it wasn't anymore likely to find bugs on the dandelions than it was on the spinach! Plus, that seems like a good indicator of freshness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alorralora
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2010 09:27:07 AM »

hehe, I understand.  a little TOO fresh for my taste, tho Tongue

hmm...maybe I'll try this.  de-petalling sounds like a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2010 10:51:42 AM »

hehe, I understand.  a little TOO fresh for my taste, tho Tongue

hmm...maybe I'll try this.  de-petalling sounds like a good idea!

Be aware that it's time consuming and meticulous! I'd advise putting on a movie or opening a bottle of wine and having a depetalling party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

awfulwaffle
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2010 03:16:22 AM »

This recipe sounds awesome! It's a shame I live right in the middle of the desert now. We are lucky if we can find grass growing out here let alone cute little dandelions.

I love wine, and I've never had dandelion wine before so it would be so much fun making this and getting to taste it for the first time. Does it have a touch of floral flavour?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Personal-swap friendly!*

http://wists.com/awfulwaffle --- My wist!
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2010 10:15:28 AM »

This recipe sounds awesome! It's a shame I live right in the middle of the desert now. We are lucky if we can find grass growing out here let alone cute little dandelions.

I love wine, and I've never had dandelion wine before so it would be so much fun making this and getting to taste it for the first time. Does it have a touch of floral flavour?

It's not floral in the way that roses and hibiscus is. You really taste the citrus in this recipe, and it blends with the dandelion flavor. The flowers aren't bitter like the greens are, but they are still tart and light.

Wulf (who seems to know all things rustic) said he thought dried flowers would work fine. I know it's not an option for you, but it was so much fun picking flowers in the farmer's field!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Ma Po Tofu
How to Make Salmon Tikka
Asian Grilled Vegetable Salad
What Is Paneer
Using Turmeric in Cooking
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...