A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dandewine--dandelion wine! with an instructional video!  (Read 47820 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , dandelion , ferment , alcohol , flower , recipe , craftster_best_of_2010 , drink  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blackie.sage
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010 09:57:20 PM »

I wonder if I could make a kind of non-alcoholic version of this. The taste itself sounds delicious, but even half a shot of vodka puts me out and I wake up with a ridiculous headache. Melon martinis taste so good, but hurt so bad!

It would be like... a dandelion juice tea... thing! haha. Leave out the yeast, and probably cut the sugar down too.

I'll probably still end up making this recipe anyway. My boyfriend loves wines and fruity/sweet liquors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
petuniastarshine
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010 10:09:54 AM »

I cannot wait to make this!! Over the summer I'll be living on a farm, hopefully I'll be able to make a few bottles of it. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010 10:56:46 AM »

I think I need to go on a dandelion hunt...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
guacaMolly
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010 08:43:43 PM »

I love this! I really want to try it, dandelions are abundant in the spring here, and I no longer have any bunnies to munch on them. I know that the sugar is important for the fermenting process, yes? I'm wondering if a lower carb version could be achieved by using as little sugar as possible and then adding stevia for sweetness.

I personally wouldn't even try it. Maybe you could reduce the sugar, but I wouldn't put in any non-sugar sweetener. Hungarian palinkas sometimes use honey as sweetener, but I always preferred my liquor without honey. I think that if you're worried about carbs make your sacrifices in other areas of your diet and really enjoy and savor this great wine. If you're going to the trouble to make wine I wouldn't cut corners on the ingredients! I've never tried Stevia but I heard it's not tasty. But good luck if you decide to go for it!

Just wanted to add that although lots of stevia extracts can have an aftertaste or be weak, NuNaturals stevia is amazing, I use it all the time. Theirs is the only one I've ever tried that doesn't have a funny taste, so I understand why stevia gets such a bad rap! You're probably right, though--- this might be worth being in the splurge category, it would be unfortunate to run trial and error and end up with something not so great due to lack of a good yeast to sugar ratio. Thanks! Smiley Sounds yummy and I can't wait to try it out this spring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RamenQueen
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010 10:50:21 AM »

SO APPROX HOW MUCH IS 2 LTR of flowers in dry US measurement
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammytheshroom
as small as a world and as large as alone.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010 08:38:37 AM »

Do you think this recipe would work if you replaced dandelions with say, rose petals or another kind of flower?  I definitely want to try it with dandelions but it would also be fun to experiment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010 10:15:07 AM »

This is very interesting. My husband and I make mead (a honey wine). Twice we made dandelion mead. It takes forever to get the little petals off and both times I was suckered into the meticulous job. The reason is that any green in the batch makes the wine bitter. I'm amazed that you say the wine is sweet, though, because it seems to make a dryer wine for us. Hubiscus and rose petals make great mead & probably a good house wine if you substitute sugar for the honey.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoudHoward
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010 04:04:26 AM »

I might have to try this, it sounds lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gumption

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010 05:45:24 PM »

SO APPROX HOW MUCH IS 2 LTR of flowers in dry US measurement

Even thought I don't use this specific recipe, I'm THRILLED to get at least 2 Quarts of flowers, and then trimmed down to 1 quart of really good petals to make one Gallon of Wine.  Can you scale up from that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyteal

unfix'd yet fix'd, eidolons eidolons eidolons!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2010 08:26:07 AM »

I love this! I really want to try it, dandelions are abundant in the spring here, and I no longer have any bunnies to munch on them. I know that the sugar is important for the fermenting process, yes? I'm wondering if a lower carb version could be achieved by using as little sugar as possible and then adding stevia for sweetness.
Or Splenda or Xylatol.

When you cut out the sugar, you're actually cutting out what the yeast feeds on to produce the alcohol.  Alternative sweeteners simply won't ferment, and you'll end up with a nasty yeasty fake-sweet mixture.  Honey ferments nicely (traditionally, fermented honey is called mead, and I've been making that for about a year now) and gives you some really complex flavors. 

This whole concept of dandelion wine is really cool, I'm going to have to try this sometime for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing and Grilling Steaks
How to Grill Hot Dogs
How to Finish Burgers on the Grill
Grilling Burgers, Hot Dogs and Steaks
How to Finish BBQ Chicken on the Grill
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...