Since starting this post, a little over a year ago, I have just completed a great project in/on my Craft Room. Originally, I had placed an extra twin size bed in the room. The bed was set up in the corner and used mainly as extra sitting space, in a daybed fashion. Little did I know that in the year since our Barn has been "finished" we would have soooo many friends coming to stay, on a regular basis. Thank goodness I had put the extra bed in the Craft Room. We also had another extra twin-sized bed set that was being stored. Whenever we had guests, we were setting up the stored bed, to make a King size bed in the Craft Room. This was happening quite frequently...and getting very old. So, I decided to purchase a pop-up trundle to put in the room. Now, a regular bed-frame is not sized to store a trundle underneath...I had to get creative.
I could have purchased a daybed along with the trundle. But, the daybeds I liked and thought would go with the Barn decor were quite expensive. I decided to build my own bed. Sounds pretty simple...I hate when I think I have it all figured out, then it goes wrong....
I had no idea that the clearances involved with the trundle would give me such a headache! But, I eventually worked it out. And, I am VERY pleased with the results! Total Cost of material: $80.00 Time to build: 3 days. I did this whole project completely by myself. Not even one grandchild to hold a board in place! hahaha
Here are the pictures of the project:
Original Bed/Couch put in room.
The Project begins! First Post being fitted.
Posts and Rails Set...
Original "Box Spring" that I removed material and padding. As you can see, there really is NO spring in the "Box Spring".
I used the original Box Spring Frame as a top frame to the bed. This frame was then fitted with plywood to provide extra storage on top of the Trundle Bed.
Spindles being put in place.
Plywood Base in place.
The mattress and trundle assembly.
Spindles and Top Frame trimmed out.
A Close Up of the Finished Post Detail. I "wood-burned" the wooden star to give it more detail.
In order to hide the plywood storage area above the bed, I used 2 pieces of the tin we had left-over from doing the ceilings in the barn rooms. I then trimmed the tin out with 1" X 4" wood like was used on the wall of the room.
The Bed is Complete! I used a quilt that has been passed down from my Great Grandmother for the bedspread. I think it looks nice and fits with the feel of the room.
Another View of the completed Bed.
Hi All, I just found this wonderful website. What Fun! I am in the process of finishing up my Craft Room...I know it will be a never-ending project! The room is located in a newly constructed barn. I live in Southeast Texas. We chose the rustic Texas theme for the parts of the barn that we are finishing out: Craft Room, Bunkhouse, My Brother's "Home-Away-From-Home" Room, and a very large Game Room. I'm super excited about the way things are turning out. This space is giving me the perfect opportunity to mix all of the family heirlooms, a little bit of my creativeness, and a lot of heart and soul. I'd certainly welcome any and all comments and recommendations!