A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Barn: Craft Room UPDATE  (Read 2735 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smatty7
« on: February 25, 2010 07:22:18 PM »

***UPDATE***
Since starting this post, a little over a year ago, I have just completed a great project in/on my Craft Room.  Originally, I had placed an extra twin size bed in the room. The bed was set up in the corner and used mainly as extra sitting space, in a daybed fashion.  Little did I know that in the year since our Barn has been "finished" we would have soooo many friends coming to stay, on a regular basis.  Thank goodness I had put the extra bed in the Craft Room.  We also had another extra twin-sized bed set that was being stored.  Whenever we had guests, we were setting up the stored bed, to make a King size bed in the Craft Room.  This was happening quite frequently...and getting very old.  So, I decided to purchase a pop-up trundle to put in the room.  Now, a regular bed-frame is not sized to store a trundle underneath...I had to get creative.

I could have purchased a daybed along with the trundle.  But, the daybeds I liked and thought would go with the Barn decor were quite expensive.  I decided to build my own bed.  Sounds pretty simple...I hate when I think I have it all figured out, then it goes wrong....

I had no idea that the clearances involved with the trundle would give me such a headache!  But, I eventually worked it out.  And, I am VERY pleased with the results!  Total Cost of material: $80.00  Time to build: 3 days.  I did this whole project completely by myself.  Not even one grandchild to hold a board in place! hahaha
Here are the pictures of the project:

Original Bed/Couch put in room.

The Project begins!  First Post being fitted.

Posts and Rails Set...

Original "Box Spring" that I removed material and padding.  As you can see, there really is NO spring in the "Box Spring".

I used the original Box Spring Frame as a top frame to the bed.  This frame was then fitted with plywood to provide extra storage on top of the Trundle Bed.

Spindles being  put in  place.

Plywood Base in place.

The mattress and trundle assembly.

Spindles and Top Frame trimmed out.

A Close Up of the Finished Post Detail.  I "wood-burned" the wooden star to give it more detail.

In order to hide the plywood storage area above the bed, I used 2 pieces of the tin we had left-over from doing the ceilings in the barn rooms. I then trimmed the tin out with 1" X 4" wood like was used on the wall of the room.

The Bed is Complete! I used a quilt that has been passed down from my Great Grandmother for the bedspread.  I think it looks nice and fits with the feel of the room.

Another View of the completed Bed.

Hi All, I just found this wonderful website.  What Fun!  I am in the process of finishing up my Craft Room...I know it will be a never-ending project!  The room is located in a newly constructed barn.  I live in Southeast Texas. We chose the rustic Texas theme for the parts of the barn that we are finishing out:  Craft Room, Bunkhouse, My Brother's "Home-Away-From-Home" Room, and a very large Game Room.  I'm super excited about the way things are turning out.  This space is giving me the perfect opportunity to mix all of the family heirlooms, a little bit of my creativeness, and a lot of heart and soul.  I'd certainly welcome any and all comments and recommendations!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011 09:15:05 PM by Smatty7 - Reason: UPDATED Project » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChrisSews
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010 12:29:07 PM »

Cute crafting space.  I like the ribbon holders under the corner shelf.  Neat idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
DownyUnicorn
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010 06:40:29 PM »

I'm new to craftster and just finishing up my first dedicated "craft room"...welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Not today," acknowledged the Little Mystic. But she could not let go of her last red balloon. "This one - see the butterfly? - is for Resurrection."
Smatty7
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011 09:19:27 PM »

I hope I did this Update correctly.  I just modified my original post.  I didn't know whether to start a whole new thread, or not.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumnsunset
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011 08:39:25 AM »

I have always wanted to turn part of our barn into a spare room. I have really wanted to do it since our two story barn now has no goats, sheep or cows. We had to recently build a small room to house a water storage tank and I realized how do~able this would be. Now you have inspired me to give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarlet_nights
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011 06:51:32 PM »

Im not big on the rustic, western look but I LOVE this bed! it is so fantastic and I love that did it yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Ways to Keep Your Party Makeup in Place All Night
Top Fashion and Beauty Trends of 2014
How to Do Holiday Glitter Nails
6 Simple DIY Masks That Fix Your Skin Problems
How to Wear Gold Eye Makeup for the Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...