A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 63
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Gibbous Altered fashions swap(SIGNUPS through to March 25;SENDOUT June 1)  (Read 46044 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dark.star.88

Design is where science and art break even.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010 08:10:03 PM »

OMG! this looks so cool! unfortunately my mom won't let me do any swaps Sad she's too paranoid about someone getting our address.... :/

O-M-G.. LAME
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning" - Andy Warhol

Swaps:
Post Secret Rd. 9 - GOOD FEEDBACK!
Disposable Camera Rd. 6 - GOOD FEEDBACK!
Altering Paper Crafts Supply Swap - GOOD FEEDBACK!
Art Journal Page - GOOD FEEDBACK
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010 08:30:33 PM »

OMG! this looks so cool! unfortunately my mom won't let me do any swaps Sad she's too paranoid about someone getting our address.... :/

O-M-G.. LAME

Just have your mom let your partner send to her work. No excuse not to do this most fabulous swap. I have partnered with a lot of younger girls who are about a grandchilds age. This is not a place to be paranoid. Have your mom pm me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Willowe
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010 09:00:38 PM »

Hmm.... I've been looking at this swap but I can't decide whether to join it or not. There are a couple questions I have about how the skirts and things are made that I just can't figure out. Tongue

Do you use an actual skirt as a base and add scraps on top of it, or do you just have a waistband to work off of? Do you hem the fabric first or leave it raggedy and scrappy? What other things can you make besides skirts (I think someone posted a vest here on Craftster- would that be acceptable for the swap)?

I love the style of everything- it's the mechanics that are confusing me! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
     -None Smiley

My Etsy
My Pinterest
woodland_faerie
craftie Woodland faerie

Sewing feral faerie creature TEXTURE YUM

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010 09:59:06 PM »

vests hats bags hey even a poppet with a gibbous outfit would be a hoot. I even thought of gibbous faerie wings  Roll Eyes but this needs to be wearable and fabric -esc....you can make a scrappy scarf or capelet or bustle or jacket or arm / leg warmers....its trash punk faerie princess meets wonderland of feral fabricated madness! lol....you could probably if your really good gibbous out some shoes the possablilites are endless! its basically collage with fabric needle and thread art....with found objects ( make sure they wont hurt the wearer negative feedback if they get stabbed! lol) heirlooms pretty things mixed with not so pretty to make pretty....Its basically glorifying history of cloth and as it grows older it is still beautiful type deal....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Watch out for toadstool rings!
www.wists.com/woodland_faerie
I love personal swaps we can do one with faerie clothing just ask! I've got a vintage fabric for trade
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2010 07:55:35 AM »

....Its basically glorifying history of cloth and as it grows older it is still beautiful type deal....

What a great way to look at it. The whole idea of mending and re-making clothing has totally disappeared from our culture, so our clothes have no history at all.

You mentioned that heavy applique and over-stitching would make garments smaller in size, and I can see how that would be true. Do you have any idea how much to allow for? I'm guessing it'd be at least 1 or 2 sizes, depending on what kind of garment and where it's being worked on. Would it be best to start way oversize and plan on taking it in at the end if necessary?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010 08:16:10 AM »

I plan to ask my partner for measurements and a couple of photos of them in different positions, standing sitting etc. I will probably start off of an existing garmet, but depending on my partner's wishes, may be able to try from scratch, though I don't know exactly how to make clothes.. Last pattern I sewed was in 7th grade home ec. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
woodland_faerie
craftie Woodland faerie

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010 08:27:03 AM »

yes that is what i do when i make a heavy altered and embellished garmet. You aren't allowed alot of strech room either so try not to work with knits *or at least have the idea that they wont stretch like knits usually stretch..... And dont let your tension on your threads be to tight or they will just pucker your fabric to bits  if your doing it without free motion embroidery. Remember if using a free motion foot to drop or cover your feeddogs (sometimes i use my feeddogs for help on some control) and drop your length to 0. You can also stitch with a zig zag or other fancy stitches for different effects! Remember this is your own couture design have fun and be fancy free with it! lol... I have made quite a few gibbous style outfits *sadly i didn't have a working camera while i had them* but i do now! lol*doesn't help much*  but they are alot of fun! Alwaysinspired made me a real sweet one for a personal swap you can see it here http://inspiringadventuresofalwaysinspired.blogspot.com/2010/02/woodland-faeries-goodies.html ( you gotta scroll a wee bit) I have also made an altered book for a past swap that you can see here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299647.80   ( scroll down till you see robotarsonist post and pictures
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010 08:46:04 AM by woodland_faerie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps we can do one with faerie clothing just ask! I've got a vintage fabric for trade
lovesclutter

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010 08:33:43 AM »

OMG that journal is fabulous. Can you modify the post to put a space after the colon so the link works?

I don't know how long that took, I was amazed, it is ALL eye candy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2010 08:49:16 AM »

Has anyone seen flutterbydaisy's beautiful dresses? http://flutterbydaisynews.blogspot.com/ yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
woodland_faerie
craftie Woodland faerie

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010 09:02:54 AM »

WOW
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 63 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Delete Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Custom White Balance Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Copy Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Macro/Close-up Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Beach/Snow Function
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...