A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pictures required for feedback?  (Read 10721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

pug hugs

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010 08:16:51 AM »

Another important point on pictures is this:  Posting pictures lets your partner know you appreciated their gift, their thought, and their time.  Not posting is kinda like a slap in the face to a partner that worked hard on something for you, and has probably already posted pictures of YOUR gift.  If pictures aren't posted you wonder if your partner hated their gift, or if you got their tastes wrong.  It can really hurt to have someone not bother to post pictures.

Also, speaking as a frequent organizer & co-organizer, I wish to see the items received in order to give the most honest feedback that I can.  Let's say you do a swap that requires a small, a medium, and a large.  You make a great set of magnets, an awesome bracelet, and knit a cool scarf, then add in some candy or a fun extra you found for them, and write a card saying you had a great time crafting for them.  Now let's say that your partner sends you a stained tee shirt from goodwill, a broken necklace, and a half eaten candy bar.  No note, no explanation.  Sadly that person would have to receive "positive" feedback for sending a package.  Wouldn't you prefer that your organizer SEES that, so she can make a note in your partner's "positive" feedback, warning other swappers of the poor quality of the package, rather than just saying "awesome swapper" and inflicting them on some other un-suspecting organizers & swappers?

This is exactly how I feel on the whole 'posting photos' issue.  And as far as swappers who dont have camereas.  I believe on many swaps Ive done on the questionaires it asks if you have a camera to post photos.  So, if you answere 'no' the organizer can make sure your partnered with someone who has a camara and can take pictures of the items they are sending you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_In search of Simply Knitting magazines with Alan Dart patterns.  If you have any I'll swap ya for them!

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010 08:54:59 AM »

Give your participants feedback in a timely manner.

Leave honest and helpful comments for future swap organizers regarding the participant's performance in the swap, leaving comments for yourself as well.  Do not make reference to quality of crafted items.  Comments regarding shipping times, communication,  etc. should be included in the comments section.  If someone was a swap angel for your swap, that should also be noted.  Here are some great examples:
           Angeled for this swap
           Sent on time
           Sent early
           Sent late with communication
           Sent late
           Good communication throughout
           Did not use DC/required mail tracking
           Fulfilled required parameters of the swap
           Did not fulfill required parameters
           Exceeded required parameters of the swap
           Participated AND angeled in this swap
           Organized and participated in this swap
           Organized and participated, but sent late
           Organized, but did not participate in this swap
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010 07:55:15 AM by babalina58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010 07:27:28 AM »

If you are too busy to post pics of the stuff that your partner worked so hard to make you, then maybe you should consider not swapping until things slow down a bit...everyone is busy and some of us have crappy picture taking skills or cameras, but I think posting pics let's people know what type of partner you had and also if your partner liked what he or she got...nothing is more frustrating to me in a swap than to not hear if my partner got the package (did it get lost? stolen? did she hate it all?) or if pics are not posted--if sort of feels weird to post my own pics...and even if you post pics for your partner, that partner should make comments about the stuff she got...swapping is not just about getting and receiving stuff...it is about validating the experience and expressing joy that someone made awesome stuff for you and vice-versa!

It only takes a couple of secs to at least send a PM stating that you received and will post when you can...such a small gesture makes such a big difference--it gives your partner a chance to ask if she can help by posting pics for you...no communication is just plain hurtful and rude
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010 11:35:44 PM »

and a half eaten candy bar. 

LMAO. i literally choked on my drink when i read that hahaha. i think i need to go to bed.....  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
babalina58

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010 07:09:12 AM »

.  Wouldn't you prefer that your organizer SEES that, so she can make a note in your partner's "positive" feedback, warning other swappers of the poor quality of the package, rather than just saying "awesome swapper" and inflicting them on some other un-suspecting organizers & swappers?

As nice as that sounds the rules state as an org you are NOT allowed to comment on the quality of a crafters package.... Cry I would not personally set out and put something neg as some are not as gifted and skilled as others however with that said I have had a few of the 1/2 eaten candy bar types in some swaps I have org and I just make a mental note and do not allow them back in to a diff. one W?O a LONG talk about the issue and make sure they understand....I also sometimes look at the items they have sent in other swaps and that helps partnering also but does take some work but......

This is right off the RULES set forth by our lovely site!!!

Leave honest and helpful comments for future swap organizers regarding the participant's performance in the swap, leaving comments for yourself as well.  Do not make reference to quality of crafted items. Comments regarding shipping times, communication,  etc. should be included in the comments section.  If someone was a swap angel for your swap, that should also be noted.  Here are some great examples:
           Angeled for this swap
           Sent on time
           Sent early
           Sent late with communication
           Sent late
           Good communication throughout
           Fulfilled required parameters of the swap
           Exceeded required parameters of the swap
           Participated AND angeled in this swap
           Organized and participated in this swap
           Organized and participated, but sent late
           Organized, but did not participate in this swap
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010 07:56:47 AM by babalina58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010 09:17:03 AM »

.  Wouldn't you prefer that your organizer SEES that, so she can make a note in your partner's "positive" feedback, warning other swappers of the poor quality of the package, rather than just saying "awesome swapper" and inflicting them on some other un-suspecting organizers & swappers?

As nice as that sounds the rules state as an org you are NOT allowed to comment on the quality of a crafters package.... Cry I would not personally set out and put something neg as some are not as gifted and skilled as others however with that said I have had a few of the 1/2 eaten candy bar types in some swaps I have org and I just make a mental note and do not allow them back in to a diff. one W?O a LONG talk about the issue and make sure they understand....I also sometimes look at the items they have sent in other swaps and that helps partnering also but does take some work but......

This is right off the RULES set forth by our lovely site!!!

Leave honest and helpful comments for future swap organizers regarding the participant's performance in the swap, leaving comments for yourself as well.  Do not make reference to quality of crafted items. Comments regarding shipping times, communication,  etc. should be included in the comments section.  If someone was a swap angel for your swap, that should also be noted. 

babalina58, I think you have greatly misinterpreted my comment.  I did not say "write about what a crappy item was sent".  You can however write a comment that will warn other organizers, without stating it so badly.  You can say something like "Met minimum swap requirements; sent 2 days late" rather than lying and saying "great swapper, sent awesome package".  Now, in my joking example of the half eaten candy bar, you laughed, but if the swap was for 1 large, 1 medium, and 1 small, than that person did NOT meet the minimum, because she didn't craft that half eaten candy bar.  Certain things need to be noted.

If you simply make a mental note to yourself, you are doing your fellow organizers a disservice.  There is a certain swapper (who shall remain nameless) who has made several rather terrible packages, and kept swapping.  Now, she certainly deserves the opportunity to improve her crafting skills, and if it were simply the matter that she has more to learn, I would of course still let her into my swaps.  However, she also has terrible communication, has been caught in various lies to different organizers, and disappears for ages at a time, leaving organizers and partners hanging, or being flaked on.  She does not post pictures, and has had her packages "go missing", along with the DC#, many times.  At least two other organizers I know, had let her into swaps, because there was nothing in her profile to warn others of her spotty swapping in the past.  Because of it, she joined many swaps, and flaked on other people.  It was only later, in trying to track her down, that the other organizers and I all came together to realize she wasn't just ditching us, but had done this over and over. 

You highlighted items from the swap rules, which I would like to note that I do of course read AND follow each and every time I organize or participate in a swap.  You should note that not all of those comments are "positive", even if the swapper did received official positive feedback.  Things like:

Sent late

These are the items I make sure to note, to warn other organizers, as well as comments on poor communication.  There have been swaps (like the Bookmark Swap Rd. 2) where I have simply not allowed anyone with a late send or comments that they were poor communicators. 

As further example, I did have a swapper once, who sent a very very poorly made item.  It in fact had fallen apart before it was even boxed up and mailed, but she sent it anyways.  Her partner was very upset, as she had made a nice item, and put time and effort in.  My co-organizer and I conferred, and offered to let the person explain herself, and attempt to make it right with her partner.  She apologized to her partner that she had not tried her best (simple honest apologies always goes a LONG way with me), and offered to make and send another small item to make up for it.  When I gave her feedback, it was similar to this:  (I have altered it slightly to protect the member from any embarrassment.)  "Good comm. to organizers; sent craft that was breaking, offered to recraft for partner; resent 2nd simple item"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010 09:28:57 AM »

If a swapper does not meet the swap requirements (i.e. they send a half eaten candy bar instead of a small crafted item), you do not have to give them positive feedback! In a case like this, the best thing to do is open a help desk ticket, post a description of the swap requirements, a description of what was received, and a photo (if available). The swap mods will help you determine whether or not the criteria was met. If you as the organizer and the swap mods agree that the package did NOT meet the requirements, we will ask you to send a message to the swapper to let them know that in order to receive positive feedback, they will have to craft x amount of items to make the package complete. If the swapper can't or won't send enough to make things right, they will receive negative feedback at that time.

This should only come up in rare events. Organizers should take care to note that everyone is at a different skill level. It can be pretty obvious if someone just threw together a box of junk, though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010 09:41:39 AM »

Yes, I think pictures are important; they really show appreciation!  And taking & uploading pictures doesn't take too terribly long (even one group shot is fabulous!).  Plus, everyone should take pictures of their packages before they send (Then if your partner doesn't post pics you can post your own....you know we all want to ooooo & ahhhhh and get inspired!)  If one does not have a camera, then you should notify your organizer and partner at the very beginning of the swap.  And having pictures posted in the gallery as a "requirement" of a swap is no different to me than those who want participants to post once a week in the swap thread.  Yes, you would get positive feedback for receiving, but organizers can denote if you followed swap parameters, posted pictures or not, had to resend, and such.  And yes, pictures are a tool for organizers to make sure everyone is having a happy swap experience.  If there are questions about meeting swap size guidelines (i.e. you received that half eaten candy bar!), then organizers can privately communicate with swap participants and mods to make sure everyone is happy.  (a quick THANK YOU  to the SWAP MODS Kiss)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010 09:44:51 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010 09:43:27 AM »

This should only come up in rare events. Organizers should take care to note that everyone is at a different skill level. It can be pretty obvious if someone just threw together a box of junk, though. 
So true!!!

You can definitely tell when someone has taken time in their crafting, even if they are a beginner crafter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010 09:44:02 AM »

Haha...I make am mental note to myself for the sake of my own info...However I am totally with you and wish sometimes we could write other things BOY HOWDY but we can not...I leave info in feedback like good communication, Poor comm, etc but I sure learned to keep a mental note on a few  Wink just for me and it is just that..Normally in that sit. I will partner ( if I give them a second chance in that issues) with them so not to have any big issue if I am flaked on or don't receive up to par Wink but I am sort of laid back in that way but I am weird too ROTFL SHHHH don't tell...JK but if I do org a swap normally I will also be the Angel if I have one again that is just me...

I did I guess just misunderstand what you were saying here as in the post  it said about the poor quality of the package  and I did take this as the crafted items and that ( Sad sometimes) is what we are not allowed to comment about.I posted the rules not only for me to reread but for all of us to look and make sure we have them somethings we think we are right on and looking at it well, oops not the case  Undecided .. I am so with you and yes it does happen that sometimes life gets in the way and someone will send late but that to me and only me really I dont not lets someone in over that but if it is an all the time deal I am with you and have to pass that round on them ...Please dont think I in anyway was attacking you at all..I just posted the rules so we could all look them over again and make sure we are all on the right path...

I WISH OH HOW I WISH that we could not leave feedback until pics are posted but one or the other..it makes me nuts just wanting to see but I love to see everyone's crafts It is a hobby of mine I think ROTFL.....

I was told that we must leave feedback even if they don't post pics ( I know that) but I would wait a while (what I felt was a reasonable time) and learned that this week or 2 I would use was NOT acceptable and I have to leave it in a reasonable time HOWEVER I still am confused as to what "reasonable" time is but I just will leave feedback asap and go back later and adjust if they don't post pics...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich with Teriyaki Mushrooms
How to Make Perfect Baked Eggs
How to Make Turkey Chili
How to Make The Best Turkey Burger
How to Make Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...