A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crocheting my wedding dress  (Read 2507 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawtmamah
« on: February 23, 2010 11:28:09 AM »

sooo i was browsing vintage patterns on ioffer.com after purchasing a pattern for a snood (a friend requested i make one for her)... and i saw this dress:

I don't think it comes with a pattern for i guess what would be called the 'lining' of the dress...? The pattern is for the crocheted portion only, i am assuming (i'll be getting it in the mail later this week). My mom and i are going to sew up the 'under dress' (since i don't know the correct term for that part of the dress... lol). I've got to figure out how we're going to do that since the pattern i'm getting probably doesn't have info for that part... hmm.

anyway... i'm going to get started on this probably by next month. Our wedding isn't until 2011 but i want to make sure i have plenty of time to get this done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010 11:41:46 AM »

That is stunning! Good luck Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010 11:46:11 AM »

That is amazing!  You have to post pics of it when you get it done.

The lining actually looks pretty simple, just a sleeveless sheath with a circle skirt, but the skirt looks like it may need some sort of petticoat under it to keep it puffed out at the bottom like that.  Tulle might work if you need it.

Anyway, it looks amazing and will be perfect for your wedding day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
hawtmamah
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010 11:57:02 AM »

thanks, Sazzra and BethieB...

Bethie- that's what i was thinking also... i'm just hoping the pattern will at least tell us how to attach the crocheted part to the fabric dress. hmmm. we'll figure it out somehow, i'm sure. lol. I'll definitely use a petticoat or crinoline (whichever is appropriate for the dress, i guess... ?) underneath.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010 12:03:13 PM »

Ooooh, WOW, that is beautiful!

I don't know much about sewing, but I found this little tutorial.  Seems pretty basic and maybe it will help...  http://www.ehow.com/how_4466379_put-lining-dress.html  Basically, the crochet layer of the dress will serve as the pattern for making the lining.  It sounds really good in theory! Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010 12:04:17 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010 12:19:31 PM »

That is gorgeous!  Personally, I'd go ahead and make the strapless version of this dress:  http://butterick.mccall.com/b4443-products-5395.php?page_id=155, and either just wear the crocheted dress over it, separately, or hand-tack it to the outer layer of the completed dress.  (I'd also add a lining to the skirt portion of that dress, just because I'm a completionist...the bodice is already fully lined, which is what helps it stay up without boning.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Zeenobia
Well behaved women never make history.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010 12:31:13 PM »

Oh, that will be fabulous!  Good luck...I can't wait to see some in progress pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for?"  -Gimli

Check out my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/WendyLadysWares
hawtmamah
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010 07:42:37 AM »

well, i got the pattern in the mail the other day. Turns out it calls for 1/4" silk organdy (now known as organza) ribbon. hahahahaha! not only is actual *silk* ribbon pretty much impossible to find, i'm having a VERY hard time finding 1/4 inch ribbon... and the stuff i do find comes in 25 yard spools. I need twenty to twenty two 100 yard spools of the stuff! LOL.

thankfully, after an hour or two of googling last night i found a site that may let me order it by the yard; i have to contac them to figure out if they will break it up into 25, 50 or 100 yard spools. I'm hoping for 100 yard spools, since that's what the pattern calls for. It may not make a difference but i don't want to have a bunch of strips left over that are too short to use.

It's nylon organza but at this point i think that even if i found real silk organza ribbon the cost would be wayyyy more than i'm able/willing to spend. Nylon should be fine, i think.

Also, the lining of the dress is simply layers of tulle, cut to the shape of the dress, darted at the waist and tacked on to the dress! yikes. HAHAA. i'm thinking a layer of thin cotton between me and the tulle might be nice to have.

I'm hoping to get started on this within the month:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010 12:54:41 PM »

the dress is gorgeous!! good luck with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Noveslit Ivo Stourton
Meet Dr. Mark Hyman
Howard J. Morris and Jenny Lee Talk About Women Are Crazy, Men Are Stupid
David Grann Reveals His Favorite Person in History
Karen Hunter Talks About Stop Being Niggardly
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...