A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet for my High School Senior Project  (Read 1799 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flippyninjas
« on: February 22, 2010 04:43:29 PM »

I've mostly been a lurker here, so if this isn't the right place to post this question then sorry about that. Tongue

So, my name is Michele, I've been learning crochet for my high school senior project and need to find a mentor/expert reviewer for my project. If any of you crocheters think you would be up for it, please let me know. The only requirement is that you would consider yourself an "expert" in crochet, and you have to be a high school graduate at least. I did at one point have a mentor, but it's been over a month and she hasn't contacted me back, so...

As an expert reviewer/mentor, I would have to converse with you at least twice either by phone or email (or in person, but what are the chances of finding someone on here that lives near me? haha), and you would have to write a "mentor letter". It's really actually pretty simple. Also, you would have to give your name and email or phone to my senior panel. I know that since this is the internet, a lot of people don't really feel comfortable giving out their information, but I'm kind of really desperate to find a mentor. Especially since I need to pass this project to graduate. :/

I have tried to find other crochet teachers around here, but unfortunately there aren't that many around here. Oh, also, the conversations would just be me emailing you question and/or pictures of what I've done and stuff like that.

Anyway, if you are comfortable with it (or know someone I can contact or that you think would be willing to do this) please, please, please let me know - either by replying to this thread or by private messaging.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Michele
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010 01:49:25 PM by flippyninjas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010 05:10:40 PM »

wow what school do you go to? I swore my school is the only one in the world that does this...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
flippyninjas
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010 09:37:51 PM »

A high school near Seattle - a lot of schools around here do it, too. xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010 04:27:31 PM »

oh cool! well I don't know if they would allow someone same-age to do it, but if you don't have anyone older/wiser I am glad to help you out  Wink I am an advanced crocheter (IMO) and I have experience making patterns, although I rarely use them myself. I personally am searching desperately for a fashion internship.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissPink
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010 04:36:15 PM »

also, you might want to search up some established businesses such as e-magazines (online or print), or popular blogs. CrochetMe comes to mind. send them a short, well-written e-mail telling them what you would like and how it could help you (ie, hello I am a senior at blahblah high school looking for a mentor for this project, which is etc etc etc. I would like to know if you have an experienced crocheter who would like to help me A B C D.)

HTH!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flippyninjas
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010 09:50:37 PM »

Yeah, I think they're looking for someone who's past high school, but I don't think there are any age requirements other than that. Thanks for the suggestions! Someone has volunteered to help, but I might look into that, too. After all, more help couldn't hurt.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMargot
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010 05:38:27 AM »

You might want to check the local yarn stores too most of them are glad to help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsay517
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010 06:36:44 AM »

you might want to check ravelry if you're a member, see if there are any local groups. I live in Vancouver, WA..and there are a few groups that get togeather at the local library. I'm sure there's some up there as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know. -Ernest Hemingway
kiewiet
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010 08:16:15 PM »

Also ask around at churches and nursing or old age pensioner homes - there are often ladies with years of experience who would be thrilled to help. A lot of the churches around here have craft mornings and you dont have to belong to the church to join in.
I found that the elderly are very good at mentoring as they have loads of experience and I have made some lovely friends by joining in or volunteering at places where they gather. They also freely share patterns and tips and are very supportive. On top of this they tend to carry a lot of weight with evaluators.
(P.S. I never thought I would enjoy hanging out with old ladies but I found they are heaps of fun and have wicked sense of humor!I guess griwing old has some benefits Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsay517
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010 02:26:32 AM »

Also, just another thought..our local library has a group that meets every month or so, you might check around and see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know. -Ernest Hemingway
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slick Back Wet Hair Tutorial
This Banana-Coconut Smoothie Doubles as a Healthy Hair Mask
Busting The Top 5 Hair Care Myths
Julia Roberts’ Amazing Updo from the 2001 Oscars
Bun and Sparkly Headband Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...