A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lining a crochet tote bag  (Read 1138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NathanScottP
« on: May 01, 2005 07:23:38 PM »

does any one know how to line a bag? its the lion brand pattern "lion brand kitchen cotton crochet tote bag" to see a picture

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-tote.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

secretly awesome
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005 01:12:37 PM »

I have a booklet about making crocheted bags that require no lining.. you just crochet with the regular yarn and also a matching size 10 thread. The thread doesn't stretch so your loot won't fall out.. a lot better than trying to line something - especially an odd shaped thing..

but if you really want to line it - after you are done, try laying it flat on some newspaper, trace it, cut out two of your fabric, allowing for a seam allowance and then sew it together and tack it in place here or there so it doens't wiggle about and sew it firmly across the top.

Best of luck with your project! Post a pic when you are done??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005 02:42:31 PM »

Funny you mention lining bags, cause my mom and I spent an hour on Saturday doing this!  I made a bag - http://www.joann.com/content/projects/projectsDisplay.jhtml?articlePath=/content/projects/static/new/little_textured_tote.jhtml&CATID=25293 - slightly modified from the original pattern to make it bigger and added plastic handles, and I have no sewing skills, so my mom did the lining.  I used fusible interfacing (this iron-on stuff that stiffens the fabric), and cut pieces to fit each side (made a paper pattern first), then my mom sewed it together, and sewed the lining to the bag, just around the top edge.  It took frickin forever, but it looks awesome (I'll post pics later, in the finished objects section). 

I agree with Craftydeb about tracing it and cutting 2 pieces of fabric, seems like the most logical way to go about it.  Another suggestion - bring the bag to a craft/fabric store and ask them for advice.  I find the ladies at Joann's and RagShop super-helpful.

Good luck, and post pics when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thats rad
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005 07:37:28 PM »

I line most of my bags that I make by hand. Takes ages but the result is a sturdy bag with a cute lining. I cut it to match the shape of the bag, then tuck the ends under as I go.
If you want to check out some of them, my photo gallery is on the sidebar of my blog..there's about 4 or 5 of my lined bags on there.
www.bellascreations.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NathanScottP
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005 04:59:40 PM »

YAY i just finished crocheting it today ( i wanted to make this bag since last fall) so im happy.
but when you guys said to trace it, are you sure it will work out  right? its a round tote and crocheted in the round and how would I attach it? thanks for your replys Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

secretly awesome
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005 03:31:06 AM »

There's only one way to find out.... trace it, cut it, sew your two halves together... tack it in place and see how it goes.  If the shoe fits, sew it up.. it if needs to be adjusted, try another shoe.
Better than lining it with a  Walmart grocery bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
xmelinda
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005 08:15:35 AM »

I have a booklet about making crocheted bags that require no lining.. you just crochet with the regular yarn and also a matching size 10 thread. The thread doesn't stretch so your loot won't fall out.. a lot better than trying to line something - especially an odd shaped thing..

Shocked  Brilliant!  Does this work??

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005 10:01:02 AM »

i haven't made any of them yet but the reasoning is sound - as long as the stitch being used is dense enough. 
I don't have time to make any right now.  I am desperately searching for my doll party dress pattern that I designed.. I have an order to fill and no pattern to go by!  I must get better organized.  You think I would have learned when I lost my pattern for the really cool snowman I made.... it will turn up. For now  I guess I need to try and reconstruct it.

But try it.  Maybe after next week I will be able to try it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
IslandTurtle
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005 03:10:26 PM »

but if you really want to line it - after you are done, try laying it flat on some newspaper, trace it, cut out two of your fabric, allowing for a seam allowance and then sew it together and tack it in place here or there so it doesn't wiggle about and sew it firmly across the top.

Best of luck with your project! Post a pic when you are done??

What booklet is this? I'm interested in crocheting with yarn and thread but would like some guidance.

-Wendy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005 03:32:55 PM »

I actually don't have the booklet.  I saw it at AC Moore and it says on the cover about how it was a new technique that required no lining so I opened up the book and it says by merely crocheting with a strand of thread and your worsted.... so I didn't bother to buy the booklet.  It didn't do much for me. although I did buy the Lion brand/leisure arts in the bag booklet because those I did like a lot.  They were sharp... mostly....
If I remember next time I am there I will check out their booklets again and find out what the name of that booklet was.  I know I had also seen it in an Annie's catalog but I already mulched my newspapers so there is no hope of finding that catalog again!
I am sorry I don't remember the booklets name..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Film Financed
How to Make an International Ransom Video
How to Cry Convincingly on Stage
How to Direct Actors
How to Digitize Super 8mm
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...