A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Binding help - what the heck am I doing wrong?!!  (Read 1418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2010 08:36:40 PM »

Okay, so I made a quilt...

I love every inch of it.  However, I am scared to death to bind it!  So I practiced on a mini art quilt to see what I need to work on.  I think I have mitered corners pretty much figured out (I mark 1/4 of an inch from each corner so I know where to stop sewing, and that has made getting the corners done much easier) but I seem to have another problem that I'm not sure how to fix, because I'm not sure why it's happening.

Do you see the problem right there on the sides?  It's got a weird pucker thing happening.

This is a little closer.

I think that what is happening is that my binding wasn't the same size all the way down (it was supposed to be a 2.5 inch strip, but since I dug it out of my stash, it may not be very accurate) but I am not exactly sure that's the problem.  Am I pulling too much? 

Also, what should my tension be on a project like this?  I have it set to the 'auto' selection but that may be part of the problem, I honestly don't know.

Any and all help and advice is very much appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010 05:17:39 AM »

First up, read this one - http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/photos/continuous_quiltbinding/index.html -

The way that I do it is this:

First, I tend to buy premade bias binding. At my local store, it comes on a spool and a bunch of different widths, so I'm not trying to join them. (This doesn't work if you want to use a particular fabric, but I hate doing binding, so.)

I open the binding up, put the right side of the binding against the back, matching edges. Then I sew all the way around. Then I fold the binding back up, so that it's wrapped around to the front, and topstitch around that. If I've done it properly, it catches all the layers, and looks pretty darn spiffy too. That way I don't have to worry as much about binding clips, etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010 01:03:47 PM »

It looks like you are trying to sew both sides the binding on the machine.  As you will see in Heather Bailey's tutorial, the second side is handstitched down.  I've tried many methods to sew the second side of the binding on the machine but it's almost impossible. 

I do my binding just like Heather Bailey - cut strips 2.5" wide, press in half lenthwise then match raw edges of binding to raw edges of the quilt and sew around - mitering the corners as you go.  Turn the folded edge of the binding towards the back and HANDSTITCH in place.  This method is neat and doesn't show stitching on the front of the quilt.  It's up to you whether you use bias binding or self-made straight of grain binding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010 04:54:34 PM »

I do mine the same way as queenofdiy.  If you really want to machine stitch, I think Redpepperquilts tutorial is very clear - http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2009/11/binding-tutorial.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010 05:33:12 PM »

Thanks for the help and advice guys!  I love both of those tuts and actually read them (repeatedly) before I tried the mini quilt.  I am going to keep practicing and see if I can fix the problems.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
bananabanana
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010 03:02:34 AM »

I would just like to add that I tried to sew binding on with the machine only, as I thought it would be quick and easy. Not only did it take ages, I think I now have to cut it off and start again as it looks lousy!

I used the instructions here...http://quilting.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_bind_a_quilt_without_hand_sewing
I made the binding 1.5 inches so it would only be narrow, but it was too skinny to fit over the edge and get sewn on, so I had to pull it and stretch and cut bits off the quilt.....

so go with the Heather Bailey method, I have used it before and it works great!

Your rainbow quilt looks gorgeous, well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010 11:35:00 AM »

I have been practicing on lots of other smaller projects and I agree -hand binding is the only way to go.  I haven't tried the machine way again.  I am so thankful for Heather's tut, it totally saved my rainbow quilt!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arizona Quilter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010 10:12:02 AM »

I know I should like a broken record but look at Sharon Schamber on youtube.  Her methods have meant the world to me, and I have always been happy with the quilt binding since I started doing it her way.  And believe me as a quilter for the last 45 years - I have tried everything and this is the only thing I am happy with.  Hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Mirin
What Are Meyer Lemons
What Are Kaiw Sprouts
What is a Kaffir Lime
What Is Galangal
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...