A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ireland-Inspired Quilt  (Read 4255 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , quilted , celtic , irish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katiebread
« on: February 21, 2010 06:18:49 PM »

This quilt took about a year of time, several cusses, trips to the fabric store to get more fabric, and lots of patience.  I worked on it mostly at my future mother-in-law's house, where she has an excellent quilting set-up and is very generous with her stash, her machine, her time, and her advice.

I was inspired by the gorgeous patchwork-esqe landscape of Ireland when seen from the air.  The patchwork didn't make it so much into the final design, but it does remind me of plowed fields.  

She finished this off for me (last 5-6 strips and the binding) and mailed it this week.  I died of happiness.  

I sewed the strips directly on to the batting and the backing, if that makes any sense.  I think it's called window-shade quilting.  That's why some of the fabrics only appear at one end of the quilt; I ran out of them after I had already sewed down a dozen or so strips. Wink  This is my third quilt, and the biggest one I've made yet!

Naturally, even though I took these with as much natural light as I could get, the flash vs. non-flash pictures came out very different.  The true colors are somewhere in-between, I think.

The back, so you can see how it's quilted in straight lines across.  In my head, the little white dots are grazing sheep.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010 06:26:31 PM by katiebread - Reason: Explaining the name » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010 06:42:34 PM »

beautiful colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010 06:50:08 PM »

That is truly amazing! I love the colors and the straight across strips Smiley The size of this quilt is astonishing! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010 07:23:49 PM »

Wow, this is gorgeous! Your MIL-to-be sounds lovely. What is that block on the quilt back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Padester
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010 07:37:24 PM »

Cheesy Love the grazing sheep!  To me they were only white polka dots, but totally became grazing sheep after reading that!   Smiley

Love this.  Will have to look into that manner of quilting - seems like it might be a bit of a time-saver, yes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010 07:57:06 PM »

Wow, I seriously LOVE your quilt!  The colors are so beautiful, and I *love* the grazing sheep on the back! 

Can you explain more what you mean by window-shade quilting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010 09:42:02 PM »

Beautifully done dear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010 01:33:18 PM »

Really nice quilt! Love the colour scheme, it really does look like a landscape. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebread
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010 05:16:25 PM »

Yay compliments!  Thanks ya'll!
The block on the back of the quilt is the name of the quilt, my name, the date, and where I live now.  Sorry I didn't explain that before.  My future mother-in-law of awesome also added that for me.
It is possible that I invented the term "window-shade quilting," or at least that Google has no idea what I'm talking about.  At any rate, I drew a quick MS Paint tutorial to show how I made the quilt.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010 05:19:26 AM »

Yay compliments!  Thanks ya'll!
The block on the back of the quilt is the name of the quilt, my name, the date, and where I live now.  Sorry I didn't explain that before.  My future mother-in-law of awesome also added that for me.
It is possible that I invented the term "window-shade quilting," or at least that Google has no idea what I'm talking about.  At any rate, I drew a quick MS Paint tutorial to show how I made the quilt.

OMG!!!  This is genius!!! I am sooooooooooooooo going to try this.  I am planning a quilt for my mom and it was already going to be a pattern similar to this.  I was dreading it, thinking about how I was going to get the bulk of it into my machine to quilt it!  Problem solved!  Also this looks like a great place to try out the basting spray I just bought.   Glueing the backing and batting together seems like it would stay neater for this proccess than pinning, plus there's no risk of accidentally sewing a pin into the quilt and not being able to get it out.   Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!Thank you!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010 02:29:45 PM by rackycoo - Reason: please don't quote photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ian Cook Talks About His Creative Process
Supervillain Origins: The Green Goblin
Superhero Origins: Robin
Supervillain Origins: Doctor Octopus
Turf Author Jonathan Ross Interview
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...