A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery/crochet issue.  (Read 540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 20, 2010 08:06:25 PM »

So I follow my patterns and I'm usually pretty happy with how they turn out (Amigurumi that is). So I go to put on the eyes and snout in this case and it makes the piece look utterly ridiculous and like a 3 year old did it (no offense to those 3 year olds who can probably crochet better than I can). I was trying to do http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=302982.0 These piggies and it came out like...

The body and tail turned out almost the same and I realized where I messed up on the snout but the embroidery keeping the snout on and the eyes make it look really dumb and I'm annoyed that after putting hours of work into something you can ruin it in a matter of minutes and not know how to fix it. Please Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wayuki
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010 03:10:10 AM »

If you look at my version of the piggies, you'll notice the eyes are a lot closer to the snout and also wider set. Aside from that, I embroidered the eyes covering only one round as opposed to three like you have.

I think the placement didn't come out quite right, because your piggy ended up a bit more elongated overall. You may like the result better using a hook one size smaller. It's a bit more annoying to work with, but it will make your crochet much tighter and the piggy will also hold its cuboid shape better. Also when stuffing, you should try and bring out the cuboid shape a bit, by keeping the tops and sides flat and nicely stuffing out the corners.

As for the embroidered line around the snout, I did that in two stages. First, I whip stitched the snout in place, and then I went around it a second time with back stitches to make it clean.

Hope this helps!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010 03:18:16 AM by Wayuki » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiebread
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010 07:26:18 AM »

Man, I HATE eyes on stuffies.  In my experience, they really make (or in my case, often break) the whole look of the piece.  The eyes in the piggie you were going for are further apart, and down.

{}                 {}
          {} 

That is kind of what you want, I think.  Yours is kind of like this:

{}      {}

{}

Does that make sense?  Good luck fixing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010 10:29:21 AM »

Thanks so much. It really does help a bunch. I noticed mine was taller but I used a smaller hook that usual (5mm) and was just happy I managed to follow the pattern (second time reading and follwoing a pattern but it was very well written pattern). I shall try to fix my piggie and see how it goes. (Also stuffed it with cloth scraps cause that's all I had atm but I plan on getting stuffing and making more, so he probably lost his shape from that.)

I also messed up on the feet a bit. Row 25. Was I supposed to unattach yarn after the increase before leg and reattach for the increase after the leg?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wayuki
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010 01:20:07 PM »

I also messed up on the feet a bit. Row 25. Was I supposed to unattach yarn after the increase before leg and reattach for the increase after the leg?

Nope, you don't have to unattach and reattach, you just keep crocheting along the inside of the legs to close up the bottom hole. Does that make sense?  Smiley

I'd say a 5 mm hook is pretty big. I think most people would use a 3.5 mm hook for amigurumi, assuming you're using worsted weight yarn, that is. You should give it a try on your next ami, you might like it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010 01:59:05 PM »

That's soo tiny. My smallest hook is 3.75 and I haven't used it because it doesn't look like the yarn will stay on it. The yarn I'll be using says a 5mm hook but I'll try the smaller one on my next piggie (because I do love that pattern) and see how it turns out. I really do appriciate all this advice. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wayuki
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010 12:25:11 AM »

Usually what it says on the wrapper is good for making clothes, because then you'd want the fabric to be soft and stretch a bit. But for amigurumi, you can go much smaller to get a nice firm fabric. That way it will hold up really well when stuffing.  Wink

Be sure to take enough breaks when crocheting that tightly though! Otherwise you'd get sore after a while.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bahookie
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010 01:27:33 PM »

Well personally I think your wee piggy is cute, just the way it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Celia from Harvest Moon
How to Draw Wanda from Fairly Oddparents
How to Draw Timmy Time
How To Draw Tweety
How to Draw A Roadrunner Cartoon
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...