A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroider an Endless Possibilities Panel! (Signups 2/20 to 3/6, Send out 4/6)  (Read 14027 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xperimentl
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010 12:32:33 PM »

I know many stitches, but I rarely use them.  I tend to use the backstitch, lazy daisy, split stitch and satin stitch the most - so don't stress about how many you do or do not know. Smiley  This is a low STRESS swap.  I don't want anyone to worry.  Just try your best and I'm sure we'll all be happy Cheesy 
I tend to just use simpler stitches as well and would be perfectly happy to be matched up with a beginner.  Just think, if you are a newbie you haven't developed any bad habits or shortcuts yet.  Wink  It's all good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Automaton J.
Hardcore Lady Type

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010 12:43:40 PM »

This questionnaire is taking me forever to fill out. I'm not sure how to describe what kind of embroidery I like. .__.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mindboggld
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010 01:42:56 PM »

The questionnaire was quite long - but I made it that way so your partner could get a REALLY great idea of what you like.

If you have any pictures or sites that you love (as far as embroider goes) then put that done (link to flickr or the site).  You can also just say that you like cutesy animals, or geeky expressions... its really up to you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010 01:59:33 PM »

I know many stitches, but I rarely use them.  I tend to use the backstitch, lazy daisy, split stitch and satin stitch the most - so don't stress about how many you do or do not know. Smiley  This is a low STRESS swap.  I don't want anyone to worry.  Just try your best and I'm sure we'll all be happy Cheesy  

HAVE FUN! Cheesy

I don't know many stitches, but I tend to use the same ones you mentioned, plus french knots (which I LOVE.)  Satin stitches are still a huge challenge for me.   But I like how my sister describes embroidery -- "it's just drawing with thread."  Keep it simple, and have fun, and do what works for you!  

***And when I said to keep it simple, I just meant "don't overthink it."  You can have a really complex embroidered piece without it being difficult or complicated.  Did that make any sense at all?   Wink
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010 02:00:59 PM by barbolot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010 02:41:59 PM »

I think satin stitch is deceptive. In theory, it's a simple stitch. It's getting it to look smooth like satin that is the devil.

My favorite stitches would be french knot, seed, split, back, chain, lazy daisy and satin. I haven't done any laid work in forever so I might work it into the piece that I do for added texture. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mindboggld
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010 02:51:14 PM »

ooo I forgot french knots!!! Cheesy  Love those!  I've been wanting to do an embroidery of a little sheep just so I can french knot it's wool! Cheesy

My seed stitch - i can never get it to look right for me...

And I call embroidery/thread the adult's coloring book & crayons!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010 04:09:35 PM »

I just learned french knots - only my second stitch and they're so easy and wonderful!  I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karimusbunch

details, details, details. it's gonna work out.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010 06:33:32 PM »

sent in my questionnaire, yay!

speaking of stitches, i think my favorite is herringbone. it's so beautiful, and easier than it looks.
btw, i don't know if anyone has seen this website, but she has tutorials for a TON of stitches, and some free patterns as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010 06:44:26 PM »

Thanks for the link, karimusbunch! 

Here's a link I use. . . this site has lots of embroidery eye candy, but on the right-hand side, there's a list called "Stitch a Day" and a link to just about any stitch you'd like to try/imagine/dream of!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mindboggld
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010 06:59:39 PM »

Yay for links!  I'll start gathering links that show different stitches and links for free/paid embroidery patterns - so post any links! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Isabel Toledo Puts Her Fashion Focus on the Plus-Size World
Trend Report - Slits
Two Ways to Style an Alexander McQueen Top
From Preppy to Rocker-Chic Style
How to Make DIY Bowties
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...