A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
225 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Film Strip Lamp (Muppet Style)  (Read 2190 times)
Tags for this thread: muppet , film , lampshade  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tootsonehorn
« on: February 20, 2010 12:45:05 PM »

Awhile back my amazing projectionist friend gave me some old movie trailers. I had them for awhile and tried to figure out what to do with these awesome materials. Then, when we were going through my grandma's stuff, I found these old lamps and the light bulb went off. Smiley I made my first lamp out of a Harry Potter and The Half Blooded Prince and to be honest it was a major learning experience. It's not bad but not worth posting here. A few months later my friend said that she had forgotten to give me one more trailer she found in a box somewhere....

Yup, The Muppet Christmas Carol! Which, in my opinion, is the best Christmas Carol ever made!  My boyfriend/bestfriend and I LOVE the Muppets and so I knew I had to make my man a lamp with this trailer. And here are the results:

Each strip was about 25 frames each.

The problem with the last lamp I made was the ends of the cord were dangling down and I didn't know what else to do. BUT the BF suggested that I make a make-shift hem for the top and the bottom. I "sewed' the hems, that were about a frame a piece, knotted the ends and burned them for a nice seal. I thought it gave it a nice semi-professional feel.

Since the film already had holes on the sides it only made sense to sew them together.  That took the most time for me because I was using a tiny crochet hook. I tried using a yarn needle but it kept breaking the film. Sad Here's when it was still in process of sewing:

You should have seen his face when I told him that was his gift. It made all those hours worth it.  Grin The lamp it's on isn't that powerful so  I think we're going to look for another lamp to replace it.  Smiley Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011 07:53:13 AM by tootsonehorn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children."-Jim Henson
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010 03:35:30 PM »

I think I'm very jealous, as to you having all those trailers to work with and that I am a self professed lamp whore. That rocks. Litterally. Hitting button
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
karwash
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010 07:44:33 PM »

Your lamp is ridiculously awesome!!
I am a big Muppet nerd. I still get excited every time I drive by Jim Henson Studios.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As children, we all live in a world of imagination, of fantasy, and for some of us that world of make-believe continues into adulthood.
- Jim Henson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Kitty Floss Holders
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Cozies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...