A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for a pattern  (Read 3337 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Manji
« on: February 20, 2010 12:21:50 AM »

So, I am in love with this dress:

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for something similar? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsay517
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010 12:57:29 AM »

No help here, but I just had to say...That dress is fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know. -Ernest Hemingway
wtpdesigns
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010 03:17:45 AM »

this looks exactly like a square dancing dress... just in satin or something similar... you can just google square dancing dress and find loads for less than 10 bucks (though they may be in tops and skirts not dresses) preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr') lol just find kwik sew 2102... if you'd like a pic of it go to sewingpatterns.com and type in ksp2102 you can buy it there or elsewhere... that site is fab for reference though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
Manji
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010 03:49:15 AM »

Thank you, but that pattern is not quite what I'm looking for. It appears that the top is very form fitting. I will check out square dancing dresses though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010 08:56:00 AM »

I love this dress too. I was planning to make it at some point, so this is what I would have done:
For the skirt, shorten and widen the skirt portion of McCalls M5232. The pattern is out of print and I can't find another one for a panel dress without a waist seam... but maybe there is one. Cut it off right under the bust and add a ruffle at the bottom.
For the top, it's basically this tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=259026.0 but instead of doing any seams in the front, you'd want to make the front piece even wider and gather the top and bottom of it. Again, make it stop under your bust.
For fabric I would use a cotton sateen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitting_Chemistry
Playing with acid and fire? That's a normal day...

Knitting and chemistry...too perfect for words...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010 11:01:07 AM »

Wow this dress is gorgeous and now I want one!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Science goggles!!! Is there no limit to their awesome power?!?
Manji
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010 11:02:34 AM »

Woah. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wtpdesigns
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010 04:21:48 PM »

actually the dress you posted is more form fitting i think... also, that site i posted has some out of print pattens and so would ebay... but i still think a square dance outfit pattern is your best bet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010 08:55:10 PM »

That would actually be fairly easy to do.  The top has raglan sleeves, and is gathered into the rest of it, if you follow one of the numerous tutorials for a peasant blouse or Ren Fest chemise, you can replicate the look no problem.  http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:http://www.reddawn.net/costume/chemise.htm  That one's my favorite.  Just do short sleeves.  I'd actually make them longer, and gather the neckline before cutting them down to the length you want, and then putting the cuffs in.  For the bottom part, start with your under-bust measurement, and add 2" for ease.  Divide this measurement by the number of panels you want the bottom to be.  There are probably six, the back one may be split to accommodate a zipper (or there's a side zip).  For sake of ease, let's say your under-bust is 36".  Divide that number by 6 (for six panels), and you have 6.  Divide that number by 2, because you're going to make a pattern piece that you can lay on a fold.  So you have 3.  Now take a piece of wrapping paper or wax paper, or whatever, that's the length you want the dress to be, starting from the underbust, plus seam allowance at the top, and hem allowance at the bottom.  At the top of the paper, mark 3.5" away from the edge (your 3 from before, plus seam allowance).  Now measure the length of your torso--this is the fitted part of the dress, before it flares out at your waist, and draw a line straight down equal to this length, from the first mark you made.  Now skip down to the bottom of your paper, and you're going to mark the bottom edge of the flare.  Figure out the circumference you want your dress to be, and divide that by 6, for your six panels, and then divide it by 2, like you did for your under-bust.  Say, for example, you want a 120" hem circumference.  120/6 is 20, divided by 2 is 10.  So you want the flare to stick out 10" beyond your waist measurement.  So make a mark at the bottom of your pattern paper 13.5" away from the edge.  Draw a diagonal line, connecting this mark to the bottom of the line you drew earlier.  Soften the angle a bit, where the two meet with a slight curve.  Now, you can use this as a template for each of the panels of the skirt, adjusting the fit as you need once it's constructed, and sewing it to the gathered top.  However, your hem is going to need to be trimmed once it's done, as you'll have points on the edges of each seam.  You can correct this on the pattern pretty easily.  All you do, really, is draw a line across the pattern at the point where your two long lines meet, towards the inner edge.  Measure the distance from here to the hem line.  Now take that measurement and measure from where your two long lines met down the diagonal line, and mark that distance on that line.  Then use a French curve (or eyeball it) to gently curve from this point down to the hem line.  Your curve should stop at the 3.5" away from the inside edge.  However, if this doesn't make sense, or you don't trust yourself to get the curve right, forget about it, and just trim the hem once it's constructed.  Then, embellish as desired!

I really hope that made sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
shadowstealer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010 12:45:44 PM »

That is such a lovely lolita dress!

Your best bet would be to hunt down one of the Gossurori or lolita bibles and harvest there patterns (just be aware the sizes are super tiny!) or find a site online what has the pattern scans and copy it to paper.

Theres an awesome pattern list here: http://blueperiod.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi?board=sewing&action=display&num=1129401043

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham, Tomato and Cheese Bake
Sauteed Noodles
Grilled Cheeseburgers
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Treat Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...