A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress form adjustment ideas needed  (Read 468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nolazombie
« on: February 19, 2010 05:20:40 PM »

So I bought a beat up ol' dress form at a thrift store ages ago, it's pretty close to my size so it was a sweet find even though it is rough and a good 40+ years old.

Here's what's causing me problems- I can't think of any way to compensate for this, though I've read quite a few posts about padding and customizing dress forms on here. Just looking for ideas, I've been thinking about it for too long and I'm over it.

Hips, waist and bust are good- right at my measurements- even the distances between all of those are pretty close. But I'm a tall girl, and once you get past the bust, this dress form is not like me at all. The armpits are too low, the shoulders are too low, so's the neck- all that is off by a good 4 inches vertically. Obviously this makes everything that has sleeves go flippin' haywire. It's adjusted to be as tall as it can be, so I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this. I think doing a shirt w/ padding under it- it would be pretty floppy adding that much height, wouldn't it? I don't want to completely murder the form, since I make clothes for other people more often than I do for myself... I was thinking about going to Lowes and seeing what kind of hardware-y things I could find to make shoulders to drop on top of it, but I don't really have a clue about how to do that.

Any ideas? My camera went MIA during Mardi Gras so I can't post pics today, but if they'd be helpful, I've got a new camera on the way and I'll post them then.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

E.J.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010 05:26:26 AM »

Ive seen the girls on here making the dress forms from electrical tape modeled on themselves, therefore would it be possible for you to follow one of their tuts but just do your upper body? ie. armpits, shoulders and neck? then you could sit this form over the top of your current dress form so that it is right for making stuff for yourself, and then take it off when you want to make things for someone els? It should be nice and light and much easier than anything from a hardware store I would think. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010 09:16:18 AM »

I agree with the tape form idea (I'd use paper tape), but since you'd be taking it off and putting it back on, you may want to fill it with spray foam.  The expanding stuff that they use to insulate cracks.  If you put saran wrap over the form, then put your form, then do the foam, you'll make a perfect base for it to sit on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Humpty-Dumpty Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
Spicy Meatball Submarine Sandwich Recipe
Elegant Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Grilled T-Bone Beef Steak Recipe
Celebration Veggie Relish Tray Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...