A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lego Pirate Cake  (Read 2349 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LizardKirk
« on: February 19, 2010 04:19:38 PM »

I made a cake for my friend's birthday, and I'm quite proud of it, so I thought I would share some pictures. It's a gluten and dairy free lego pirate ship cake.

Some close-ups of the details.

The ship was chocolate cake, coated in 'plastic chocolate'. The anchor, wheel, and mast were plain chocolate.

The other chocolate features: railings, palm tree, prow and crow's nest were also 'plastic chocolate'.  It's made from chocolate and honey, and is quite a versatile modelling material. I found a few recipes on the net, but in the end just winged it. I think I used too much honey, really, but it seemed to work OK.

The sail and palm leaves were rice paper, and the sea was broken cake mixed with icing and too much blue food colouring.
The men and the small boat were lego, and so inedible!
It didn't last long...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ravenau1
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010 05:33:41 PM »

I'm not surprised it didn't last long! Looks yummy and great! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annieandchiquita
Crafting Addict; no speciality

Darn picture :(

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010 05:38:39 PM »

Awesome Cheesy My DF would adore it!!

What type of dairy free choc did you use? And what proportion of honey to choc.? I'm really intrigued by the whole idea. I'm currently dairy free, plus my son's birthday is coming up so the whole plastic dairy free choc fascinates!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wifey
Mama
Crafter Cheesy

Currently swapping -
Back to Hogwarts: Sent!

Breathless Waiting for Breaking Dawn: Planning, purchasing and crafting Cheesy Not a minute too late, right? Such a last minute crafter...
LizardKirk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010 04:10:12 AM »

I used the co-ops own brand dark chocolate, as it's what I had on hand. I don't think it's totally dairy-free, but my friend is intolerant rather than allergic, and it's ok for her... I can't speak for anyone else!

As for how much honey.... I melted the whole 150g bar, and then added a teaspoon of honey at a time until it looked right! I think it was four. The recipes I'd seen online said to wrap it in clingfilm and leave out for two days, but I didn't have that much time, so I stuck it in the freezer, for about half an hour. It was very solid but with some kneading the warmth of my hands made it malleable, and I was able to roll it out and mould it. I found I had to keep chilling my hands of when trying to mould fiddly bits. It would probably be better if it had had longer to set. I'll try to plan further in advance next time!

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Diaper Cake
How to Dry Flowers
Halloween Party Wine Bottle Make-Over
Fashion Crafts for Kids
How to Upcycle Fashions With Dyed Buttons
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...