A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 2/19/10  (Read 3063 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010 03:01:44 PM »

one of my favorite things I have spun lately has been greasy, carded mohair locks. I had the opposite experience, but goat and sheep grease might differ....ha

i don't think i shared that yet...so:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010 03:03:23 PM »

Oooo I love those colors. Is that color as pink as it looks here or is it more orangey-red? That would make an awesome hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010 03:28:42 PM »

it's pinky.the pictures are kind of weirdly saturated. it's SO soft and thin, i might have to make a ascot/shawlette/kerchief (cuz i only have a million of those)

I am spinning up so indigo dyed wool from penguino right now, i will attempt to take some pictures
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010 03:36:12 PM »

I can't wait to see that! Her rovings are awesome. I'm going to start on a merino roving that's a deep red and blue. (I think it's merino anyway.) The batt that I have drafted up to participate in the Learn to Spin thread is also one from her. She makes fantastic color decisions! Is it a more solid color or does it have some white in it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
WMA
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010 07:40:51 PM »

Oh my...some great stuff this week! I can't choose a favorite! Bummer about the greasy/waxy wool Oddacity...maybe some mittens or some type of outerwear could be made from it as the lanolin will add a nice water resistance to it.

So my contribution this week is also my contribution to Lexi Boeger's Handspun Revolution...yay! It's probably one of the wonkiest yarns I've made so far but I like it because I see it as my first real art yarn. I decided I would spin a theme and chose to go with the four elements - air, earth, fire and water. It was corespun on my CD spindle (I so need a wheel...and a jumbo flyer, lol) from many different fibers from many different sources. All but the 'air' were spun on a crochet thread core. I carded up the batts and went to town...wow is it bulky, lol! I decided to spin the 'elements' separately, if it were to be knit there would be four large stripes, lol. Enough chatter let me show you what I'm talking about...(warning, pic heavy)

Elements
FULL spindle, lol! I refused to make two skeins and join them later...I wanted a continuous skein and I'm stubborn!

The whole skein (hmm, still need to check the yardage)...twist not yet set

Air - white mohair with a worsted(?) white commercial yarn as the core. So soft!

Earth - All sorts of fiber..romney, angora, locks of some sort, maybe mohair..and I added in small stones like tiger's eye, jade and some others I can't remember the name of, lol. Pic is kinda poor and dark as you can't see the dark greens bits very well.

Fire - Again, many different fibers...locks tail spun to represent flames and of course some gold sparkle

Water - This one I added locks but instead of tail spun with the majority of the lock sticking out, I tail spun, then left a 'wave' of lock out, covered a bit with the other wool, left a 'wave' and so on. I also did some twists (there's one at the top of the pic). The blues and greens are a little washed out in the pic.

Some of the techniques I used were new to me, like the twists and adding in the stones and the tail spun. I used Lexi's book Intertwined to figure those out...except the stones, Jazzturtle's youtube videos helped me with that! It's chunky and funky and I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010 05:15:24 AM »

I had to wait for my copy of Respect the Spindle from Amazon.ca too.  But it was totally worth the wait.  I'm feeling so proud of my spindle spinning and very accomplished too.  I rarely drop my drop spindle anymore.  I can pick it up whenever, where ever.  Its getting more use than my wheel at the moment because of its portability.  I believe it when Abby says in the book that you can have as much productivity with a spindle as with a wheel. 

I'm even debating trying to teach a spindle spinning class to a social group that I belong to.  None of them have any spinning knowledge what so ever, so I'm a little hesitant.  But I feel I have a responsibility to spread the love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010 06:40:09 AM »

WMA- that yarn turned out amazingly!!!!  super artsy and wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veludo
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010 07:02:54 AM »

Hello Smiley

This is what I've been up to lately, taking care of a 6 month girl doesn't let me have much free time to craft.

100% merino wool
100gr
2 ply
Roving by ps.de.pato

100% merino wool
100gr
2 ply
Roving by SarasTexturesCrafts

100% merino wool
100gr
2 ply
Roving handdyed by me using Kool Aid

I also tried for the first time to ply with thread and hated it. I don't have pictures of the yarn, maybe I'll post it later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010 11:16:41 PM »

Yowza wowza, I am in love with the first one there, Veludo. The orangey pinkey is gorgeous! And I love love love that one little tiny bit that's purple and green plied together, I can imagine that skein being so beautiful knit up Cheesy Great yarns this week! I have to post mine soon, maybe next week.

OH! Any one going to Stitches in Santa Clara next weekend? I might get my very first spinning wheel! Can't wait to see more this week, everyone! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010 09:35:18 AM »

I can't wait for Stitches West next weekend!!!! Shocked

Oooo a new spinning wheel, so sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple Crumble Recipe
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 1/3
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 2/3
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 3/3
How to Make Chorizo Burgers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...