A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycling Cards -- Good or Bad idea?  (Read 2033 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2010 09:06:30 PM »

Okay I have a question to throw out there for all you crafty peeps Smiley
I wanted to get a feel for this proposal before doing it in case it was considered taboo.....
For a few years now I've saved every card ever given to me and I have a shoebox now overflowing with cards. A thought came to me the other day why not upcycle them and reuse them? Now of course it would depend on where the giver wrote on the card and such but I thought I could glue new card stock on the inside of the card and voila new card. Is that a bad idea? Do you think anyone would get hurt if they found that they received an reused card? Of course I'll save the ones that mean a lot to me and I plan on scanning them all in and creating a scrapbook of cards eventually but I just wanted to get everyone's feelings on this idea. Thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010 10:43:44 AM »

I don't think it's a bad idea. I'd use just the fronts of the card (cut & glue to new card fronts) & as long there is no writing that can be see thru, it would work great. I don't really think they would mind & keeping the special ones is a good thing. I'm not really a card person so I wonder if people remember what cards they send to other people?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaulaCT
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010 06:42:05 PM »

I agree with. "Little Me" and would suggest taking the card front and attaching it to a new blank card but other then that I have no problem with the idea. I make handmade cards that I donate to our military to use to keep in touch with home and I have recycled cards in this way. Often I had some ribbon or embellishments too. I say go for it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010 10:00:26 PM »

Thanks for the advice Smiley I just hated to throw them away but they are overflowing! So I need to do something with them, I've always wanted to get into card making but have no time maybe this will give me a start. Plus I have a HUGE family and buying cards can get expensive sometimes, even if I buy the 99 cent Hallmark cards sometimes I still spend at least $20 in cards a month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010 09:47:32 AM »

Reusing the card intact could appear a bit chintzy.  I cut the front of the card, crop it and mount it to complementary color paper and glue to a new cardstock card made by me.  Embellish the images or add your own captions.  Cute kitties in a basket just beg for laser eyes, don't you think?
By the way, my local libarary accepts donations of greeting cards.  They crop them to bookmark size, punch a hole and add a yarn tie at top.  The bookmarks are placed at checkout counter and free for the taking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010 10:21:11 AM »

. . . buying cards can get expensive . . .

Which is why I don't buy cards anymore. They are very pricey & not everyone keeps them. I like to make my own & personalize it to the person that's getting it. Recycling is an excellent idea & what SkitzoLeezra does is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010 02:21:28 PM »

I think I try that, that's for all the suggestions! I'll have to get started and post a few one here. First I have to go thru the box and take out the ones I want to keep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bminks

dum spiro spero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010 12:35:45 PM »

I actually have a friend who cuts the front out of all the cards she gets and sends them to me to use. I usually don't glue them on wholesale, though, although I think that is fine. I like to cut out all the images that I like from them, then cut shapes with the rest of the card and turn it into a sort-of collage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydaisyamy
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010 02:24:15 PM »

late to the party, but I think this is a wonderful idea. We do this for our kids. My 5 year old has fun with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amy L.
Owner/Creator of Crazy Daisy Cards
mother, wife and avid crafter
TheMuseFactory
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010 08:26:21 PM »

My Auntie does this with all her cards. I've never found it offensive, in fact I think it's awesome. (She's a nun too, so you know, it can't be THAT bad, lol!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clip In Hair Extensions - Questions and Answers
How to Wash and Care For Clip In Human Hair Extensions
How to Curl Clip In Hair Extensions Separately
How to Put Your Hair Up Using Clip in Hair Extensions
Quick and Pretty Half Up Hairstyle Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...