A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Weighted Companion Cube  (Read 1528 times)
Tags for this thread: companion_cube , portal , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2010 07:59:16 PM »

There are already a few version of the companion cube out there on craftster, but I wanted to share my own interpretation with you!

So, I started hanging out with my current boyfriend in June of 2009, and one of the first times we hung out after deciding to start dating, he showed me the game Portal, which has a "weighted companion cube" as the main tool.

Shortly after, he told me how (I believe) the makers of the game had made a real life version of the cube, but it was no longer available.  That was when I decided I was going to make it, but I knew it had to be for a special occasion (as you can see, it's enough work to qualify for that a requirement!). 

I drew up a plan for the cube, and put it in my pocket.  I forgot it was there, and he happened to find it and said "what's this?" but I yanked it away and hid it before he could get a good look.

I decided I was going to make the cube for his birthday (and decided this about a week before it...his birthday is October 13th), and like most projects, I didn't make the cut.  I bought a toaster for him instead, and decided the cube would be good for Christmas.

Between his birthday and Christmas he let me know that he had seen what was on the afore mentioned sheet of paper.  I wanted it to be a surprise, so I put off completing the cube so he would either forget about it, or think I had decided not to make it.

Fast forward to February...I decided to finally finish the cube for Valentine's Day.  As usual, I procrastinated and it got to be the week before VDay.  Luckily, (but not for him) my boyfriend came down with a cold and had to stay home for the Tuesday and Wednesday before VDay (days we'd most likely have spent together otherwise).  In that time, I finished the cube and a bit of lingerie... Wink
(http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=338697.0)

Needless to say, my boyfriend was SO excited when he saw it.  I brought it out in one of those bags you'd put a kid's bike or some other large toy in and he had NO IDEA what it was until he opened it.  He looked just like a kid on Christmas morning and before 5 minutes had passed, he had taken a picture of it on his phone and posted the picture on Facebook.  Yay for gift success!

I made the cube with felt (not wool felt, just manmade yardage from JoAnn) and decided it wouldn't withstand being stuffed very easily, so I sewed duck cloth to the back of each piece.  I then stuffed it with 3 bags of fiberfill (and it could use more!) and handsewed the last edge shut.  It's very generously sized - 18" cubed!

Thar she be:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Rinoa1024
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010 08:35:47 PM »

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I knew what it was from the thumbnail!  This is soooooooooooo cute!  I'd never be able to burn it~ Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010 10:11:00 PM »

This is such a cute gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
BunnyTuTu

Is it because I have a waffly nose?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010 05:50:39 AM »

It's adorable Cheesy Looks like a good sized one too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bexieboo
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010 03:39:23 AM »

Wow, it's so big! I was going to knit one for my sweetie for V day, but ran out of time. I might pinch your idea and do it in felt one I do get around to it though, a huge one would be so cool. You did a fantastic job on it, it looks really realistic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Black.Eyed.Spyder
Do goldfish have nostrils?

Not a cannibal

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010 11:37:20 AM »

I love the companion cube. You'll need to do something cake related for him next! Exceptionally well done with this project. I'm rather jealous of your boyfriend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010 01:23:52 PM »

Thanks for all the great compliments, folks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Dusk/Dawn Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Delete Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Custom White Balance Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Copy Function
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...