A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1945 Shoulderette from Botany Mills ... I'm working on it now! re-worked pattern  (Read 4803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 18, 2010 12:25:58 PM »

I am 17 inches into this right now. This is a very easy pattern. I had to make a few corrections, as there were a few mistakes in the original.
Once you get the rhythym down, this is a great beginning lace pattern. And, there's only 3 rows out of 10 that really have to be counted.
Here's the photo:

This is how it's made... one long piece with cuffs on both ends:

And, Here's a close-up of the lace pattern:

I am typing my revisions of the pattern in the next post. Anyone care to join me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010 12:58:50 PM »

HERE IS my VERSION OF THIS PATTERN:

Yarn... Caron Simply Soft.. About 3; 7oz. skeins white
1 pair circular needles size 8
1 pair straight needles, size 1 for petites, size 2 for large& XL wrists. Size 3 for xxl & up wrists.
1 steel crochet hook size 2, 1 large button to cover. about 5/8 to 1 inch, as you prefer.
PATTERN STITCH: 10 rows to create pattern repeat
Row 1: K3, * yo, k2 tog, and pass slip st over k2 tog, yo, k3, repeat from * across row, ending with yo, k6 ( not k3)
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K3, * k3, yo, slip 1, k2 tog, pass slip st over k2 tog, yo, repeat from * across row, ending with yo, k3.
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Repeat row 1
Row 6: Repeat row 2
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Purl
Row 9: Knit
Row 10: Purl
Notice how the pattern rows 1 and 3  are identical, except the first and last 3 stitches change place to  move the dots over to form starburst design.

NOW FOR THE GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS:
Using smaller needles, cast on 62 stitches.
Work in K2,P2 ribbing for 4 inches.
Change to #8 needles, and knit across row, increasing 1 stitch in every stitch across row.
This gives you 124 stitches.
Purl 1 row, then add 1 more stitch at beginning and end of next knit row.
purl 1 more row.
This will give you 4 set-up rows of stockinette stitch, and a total of 126 stitches.
Then, begin working pattern, and continue until piece measures 52" from top of ribbing. You may adjust this length if you need more or less fabric around your shoulders.
End on row 9 of pattern.
Purl 2 tog all across next row. This will give you 63 stitches. Eliminate the remaining odd stitch, to even out to 62 stitches in the next row, as you change to your small size needles.
Work ribbing again until second cuff matches the first.
Bind off.
FINISHING:
Sew together sleeves at each end, 12 inches up from cuff.
Single crochet 2 rows around top and bottom edges. Make a sc covered button, and sc chain for loop. Position these at neckline.
You are finished! ENJOY!
This is not just a bed-jacket. I believe this will prove to be an elegant, easy to -wear sweater alternative.
I hope someone will join me!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 01:26:03 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010 01:44:59 PM »

Mmm... classy.
I don't knit, but it looks interesting.  I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
eetenpie
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010 02:45:45 PM »

oooo that looks lovely, i will definetly be giving it a go once im done with this long open shawl http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=147576.0  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010 09:24:56 PM »

Thanks for the shawl pattern link! It's beautiful. I'm saving that one for later!
This is probably going to be my last knitting project this season. I may try some crochet edgings, or spring weight pieces next.
Meanwhile, I'm going to get this shoulderette made quickly, before it starts getting warm again here in Phoenix.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 09:25:32 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010 03:12:09 PM »

I finished it last night! I made a change to the finishing. Instead of 2 rows of Single crochet, and the loop and button, I eliminated the button, and knitted a 3" deep ribbing all around the opening. This was done with a size 6 circular needle, and I believe I picked up 314 stitches, one in each SC loop. I only went around once with the SC to set an edge to pick up.
I am posting the finished item in the completed projects board, so this pattern can remain here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010 06:51:33 PM »

This is very pretty--I saw your post with the finished item.  It looks like you could snuggle in it and stay nice and warm!

I had found a similar style pattern done in crochet on the web.  I had it halfway done and then frogged it because I wasn't crazy about the colors I was doing it in.  It was very easy to make.  I'm not a knitter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010 06:56:44 PM »

Oh No! What a shame you didn't like your colors! I think I've done enough with that white yarn. There's still half of a 7 oz. skein left. I wonder if I can get a beret out of it? But not for now!
  I'm trying out some #10 DNC crochet thread I bought today. If only those patterns explained more! I just find knitting much easier to read, when you are going past basic things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010 10:46:15 PM »

I am waiting on it (the pattern), KLK.
Of course starting work on the pattern won't be any time soon. My knitting is suffering right now while I clear up and clean up following the Olympics.

But it looks like something to wear in the spring - and after the past few days, I need a reminder that the weather is going to improve.

I DIDN'T SCROLL DOWN FAR ENOUGH!
 THANK YOU VERY MUCH,
Jane2 here (Janey elsewhere)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010 07:32:02 AM »

Rows 1 and 3 are written a bit confusing, I was getting bad stitch counts and unbalanced yarn overs because of the way the ends of the rows where written. I'd write them like this:

Row 1: k3 *yo, s1, k2tog, psso, yo, k3, repeat from * to last 3 sts, k3
Row 3: k3, *k3, yo, s1, k2tog, psso, yo, repeat from * to last 3 sts, k3

The "s1, k2 tog, psso" could be further abbreviated to sk2p:

Row 1: k3 *yo, sk2p, yo, k3, repeat from * to last 3 sts, k3
Row 3: k3, *k3, yo, sk2p, yo, repeat from * to last 3 sts, k3

It's a pretty stitch pattern. I don't know if I'd wear the jacket as written, it's not really my style, but the stitch is lovely and I'm sure I'll find a use for it somewhere. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Editor Emily Meehan Talks About Hush, Hush
David Mas Masumoto Talks About Wisdom of the Last Farmer
Leila Sales Talks About Mostly Good Girls
Chuck Hogan Talks About The Town
Meet Author Annabel Karmel
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...