A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I make this? Total rookie!  (Read 745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skoo
« on: February 18, 2010 10:16:44 AM »

I've only attempted one piece of jewelery ever, but I would like your opinions and recommendations. 

Could I make a necklace similar to this?  It's my best friend's 30th birthday AND she's getting married this year.  I told her this necklace would be awesome with her dress.  She loved it. 

I am a total rookie with next to no jewelery making experience.  Where do you recommend I start?  Or do you think it's an advanced piece that I would be better off to try to find to purchase?  I know it's a lot of questions, thanks in advance for your help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010 11:48:45 AM »

Yes, you can do this.

Maybe for your SECOND piece?

Try a 1 strander first to get used to working with beads, tigertail, crimp beads, pliers, and how long necklaces are. IMHO
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
skoo
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010 12:12:07 PM »

aw thanks for the vote of confidence ScotSkipper! I have no idea what tigertail is.  I've heard of crimp beads, and I have some jewelery pliers!  Buuuuttt... I was trying to get this done in 2 weeks.  I better start researching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010 06:34:08 PM »

YES!! you can!! perhaps not an ideal first project but not too difficult to do..on a scale from 1-10..one being simple and ten being THE hardest this is perhaps a 3..

of course you could just buy it..but wheres the fun in that Smiley I am sure she'll love it more since you made it..oh,and the awesome part of making it is..that itll be THE way you think she'll love..meaning if you want to change the colors than you can..

I'm assuming you have a jewelry store near you..

youll need:
-eye pins(thats what is connecting the pearl beads to each other) named because one side will have a loop and the other side a point..

-pearl beads:looks as though the bottom strand has larger beads than the second strand..I am NOT sure from the photo but its what it looks like..so pick up one set of larger pearl beads..then another set of smaller ones for the 2nd strand..

the photo looks like 19 on one side and 19 on the other..but pick up more than that just in case..you dont want to be stuck in the middle of the project with NO beads..

-star connectors..they look like they have loops on the top and the bottom of the star used to connect to each other or other beads..

I cant tell from the photo what kind of beads those are on the third strand..

anywho..if you need more help or have more specific questions let me know..feel free to PM me Smiley

have fun!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Christmas Light Cookies
Debbie Matenopoulos’ Recipe for Baklava
Homemade Strawberry Pie Recipe
How to Make a Better Blueberry Coffee Cake
How to Make Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...