A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Child's Jacket.....Does the End of the Ruffle Hang Out?  (Read 1296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Solitear
« on: January 04, 2009 03:11:30 PM »

Puhleeeze help...... I try to sew and have made some (mostly children's things) but there are these times when I am soooo stumped.

I'm making a little lined jacket from one of those books that comes with the pattern called Baby Couture (should have been a big ol' heads up) by Samantha McNesby...... absolutely darling and looked like even I could make it....... I did notice the pattern was completely free of all those pesky little printed circles and void of any "HoldinMeBackFromSewing" words of instructions....so Woo Hoo this should be fun.....

Well....... I made the jacket, attached the ruffle to the bottom, started pinning the jacket lining to the jacket fabric, in the front, and got down to the ruffle and didn't know where the heck to pin that ruffle end.....do i leave the ends flush with the inside-out edges of my fabric and lining?   I'm afraid if I do that then, when it's turned right side out, it's going to look like the jacket front has little, tiny, hinee wedgies where the ruffle got caught up in the seam......

Obviously, Ms. McNesby figured she was writing to people with some basic knowledge of sewing...... hence, her using that "woo-woo in sewing world" word ".....Couture"   ...... but I think I was suckered in by those kindergarten illustrations (all both of them) and innocent looking children throughout the book..... hehehe.....

Can anyone help me...... 'course that would be dependant upon you being able to understand my own goofy description.....

oxoxo's
Beth
Oh, yeah..... I'm BuggieBooTique on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 07:27:23 AM »

Is it the jacket on the front of the book?  I looked it up on amazon and the pic on the front cover is a jacket with a bottom ruffle.  It's hard to see but it looks like she pinned it into the side seam as well to finish.  Could you maybe post some pictures of the problem your having and maybe that would be easier to help you figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitear
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 09:09:46 AM »

Thank you so much for looking that up and taking the time to reply..... really very sweet of you!!!

You understood exactly what I was questioning.......I got impatient and just pulled the ruffle free...... then thought..... what if it was supposed to stay within the seam...... oh well..... too late....

When I read your post I looked closer at the jacket and, yep, I think you're right.... it looks a little scalloped and cute that way, too..... mine isn't.... gaaaaahhhh........ I've started on the little matching dress and am in this thing too far now to give it up...... I'm on a mission.....
http://flickr.com/photos/99735003@N00/3177428528/

Thank you again .......
oxoxo
Beth

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 05:15:09 PM »

That is an adorable jacket.  I think you did very well with it and I think the ruffle looks just fine as it is.  Cann't wait to see what the dress looks like  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitear
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 11:46:25 PM »

Awwww..... thanks....... after trying to start the dress I've decided to use a real pattern (real for me anyway) ..... I'll post the finished project.... you've been such a dear, thank you!

oxoxo
Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solitear
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009 08:39:43 PM »

Ok, here it is...... I named it Oopsie Paisley Party Dress because of my ruffle fiasco..... this isn't the original dress from the book, either, because I couldn't understand...... oh, well, it doesn't matter..... I'm just glad this one's finished....

http://flickr.com/photos/99735003@N00/3201317393/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010 09:06:16 PM »

i know this is over a year old now, but I did a search of the name of the book, as I just borrowed it from the library.  I just love the dress and jacket you have made, I traced the pattern out for the jacket this arvo.  After reading about your adventure with the jacket i will be very careful with construction making sure it is just right before i  sew.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitear
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010 01:34:26 AM »

Hi carmenmarie.......I wish I'd been more patient since I think the little ruffle would have looked cute scalloped up in the front....but, oh no.....not me..... no siree...I figured I'd already accidentally sucked, caught, pulled and tugged too many things like that in seams before and I wasn't about to do it one more time...hehehe....

Thank you for the sweet compliment and I'd love to see your version when you're finished!

oxoxo
Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010 06:59:35 PM »

Hi carmenmarie.......I wish I'd been more patient since I think the little ruffle would have looked cute scalloped up in the front....but, oh no.....not me..... no siree...I figured I'd already accidentally sucked, caught, pulled and tugged too many things like that in seams before and I wasn't about to do it one more time...hehehe....

Thank you for the sweet compliment and I'd love to see your version when you're finished!

oxoxo
Beth

Well I tackled afew of the things in the book.  I left the ruffle off the jacket, maybe I will attempt it next time.
x Carmen

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340002.msg3939727#msg3939727
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitear
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010 07:45:47 PM »

Your creations are absolutely precious!  And, the jacket looks perfect without the ruffle.....It looks more stylish with your fabric...I just love them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Volume to Your Hair
How to Style Your Hair with Rollers
How to Blow-Dry Short Hair
How to Style a Bob
Thick Hair 101
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...