A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Ostara Swap Round 18 (Signups 2-15-10 to 2-22-10, SO 3-15-10)  (Read 12635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lydiaharper
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010 02:45:43 PM »

Thanks for the replies! 

And, kmichele_craftyfae, I would LOVE to see your altar!

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010 03:09:59 PM »

We have built-in cabinets in our living room, and one of those is a separate little cupboard so I use that. I permanently have a cloth, candles, bowl, stones and incense, and a Green Man painting on there. Then I add various things throughout the year. It's handy because I can keep candles and whatnot in the cupboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010 04:00:13 PM »

I might get made fun of for this, but the best intro books when I started investigating were:

Witch Crafting: A spiritual guide to making magic by Phillis Curott

The Wicca Handbook by Eileen Holland

Both emphasize the intention of what you're doing, less about saying just the right thing or having the right color candle. Spirit of the practice versus the law.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
spazgirl1981
AlphaBetsy Bomber

I took up croquet today and I'm on fire!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2010 04:45:24 PM »

I'm not swapping this time, but I am following and wanted to chime in. My boyfriend and I bought a house last year and I asked him if he cared if I did not hide my altar. He thought it was silly that I might hide it. So mine is permanent and in my dining room. I have my altar (who's name is Walter, long story) and my bookshelf of "witchy" books and hanging above it is my herb drying rack. I feel blessed that I can present it proudly.

As for books a good informational book is The Witches Guide to Life by Kayla Trobe. If you like natural magic I love the books of Ellen Dugan. And while some people don't care for them when I was starting out I loved Silver Ravenwolf... To Ride A Silver Broomstick, etc. They were great starters. I could go on, but I will refrain. I hope this helps...

Oh and hawkeyes_girl...I loved Witch Crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2010 05:48:07 PM »

"Walter the altar" - I love it!

It's interesting to hear people's stories of their altars (especially people who are proud of moving theirs out into the open - good on you!). I've never seen a book of photos and stories of people's altars and shrines; it would be a fascinating project.

As for books, I don't know any of the ones that anyone's recommended so far (except for Gerina Dunwich and Silver Ravenwolf), so there are several there I'll have to go look up. Personally I like Janet and Stewart Farrar, who are terribly very Old School Alexandrian Wicca, but they can actually write, which is unusual, and are always very sensible and insightful even when they're being fuddy-duddies. Also Robin Skelton's The Practice of Witchcraft is worth having if you ever see a copy. Skelton was a poet, witch and academic who wrote several very good books, of which this is probably the most generally useful. In a way I think the problem today is that there are too many books on witchcraft, and there's no way for someone new to the Craft to know where to start. Some of the "teen witch" books I've seen are quite imbecilic, and I'd hate to think that they're anyone's introduction to it!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2010 06:19:39 PM »

Wulf, you just had a so great idea. We could built a project pdf or something Smiley
I know I have a lot to share about my altar, from the dresser it sits on (for 10 years now) to where my cauldron is from and who give it to me (my mom) and how I made my pentacle, that my god/goddess cooper candle holder were giving by my boyfriend on mothers day.... Every bits on my altar as a meaning for me.

this is my altar right now Smiley

Around Imbolc

Samhain

really, this could be a fun thing to do! I'll set up something in the misc. section with questions that might be interesting. I wonder if it can enter in a craftalong?

anyway, I'm half done with my medium! yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2010 07:45:26 PM »

I just have a teeny bit of assembly for #1 to be done....I guess it is a medium....but I'm still gonna do another thing as my "big" item. (even though it's a medium).

On to object #2!.....and Done! 1 small outta the way!

Love this thread!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010 08:24:44 PM by hawkeyes_girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
kmichele_craftyfae

the faery of creative chaos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2010 07:55:52 PM »

Thanks for the replies! 

And, kmichele_craftyfae, I would LOVE to see your altar!

Lydia

here's a link to it in my blog http://craftyfae.blogspot.com/2010/02/work-in-progress-primary-altar.html

it is far from finished, but for the moment it is functional, even though you can't see that in the pictures since I don't have anything set out on it. i hope to work on it and maybe finish it this weekend along with a few swap items.

i haven't started crafting yet. but i do have a few ideas floating about in my head. i'll be heading to my craft cabinets to see what sort of supplies i have for what's floating about lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liralen

"What a crazy random happenstance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010 08:22:48 PM »

Both emphasize the intention of what you're doing, less about saying just the right thing or having the right color candle. Spirit of the practice versus the law.

This is what I look for anymore.  And that's why I love Sylvan's book.  She has almost nothing on "You do THIS this way and then THAT," it's all just things that make you think about what you want in your practice.  It emphasizes doing something daily (or whenever you can) rather than doing it right.  For instance, she has a chapter on creating your code of ethics.  She shares hers, but she leaves the creating up to you. 

I was just in a book store tonight and stopped by the new age section.  All the books were basically the same thing branded with a different name and flavor.  I can't imagine how confusing it would be starting now.

I love Dugan's Cottage Witchery, by the way.  Good book.  And I started off on Ravenwolf and Cunningham.  Cunningham is still who I recommend.

As for crafting, I have ideas for everything but the medium.  I need to go do some researching, yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the madness."  -- Allen Ginsberg

http://musedcreations.blogspot.com
Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010 09:04:36 PM »

here's a link to it in my blog http://craftyfae.blogspot.com/2010/02/work-in-progress-primary-altar.html

it is far from finished, but for the moment it is functional, even though you can't see that in the pictures since I don't have anything set out on it. i hope to work on it and maybe finish it this weekend along with a few swap items.

I really love that idea! Years ago, when I was just starting out, I had seen one made very similar to yours, only from a cigar box. Infact, I just now did a google search and came upon the old picture I was inspired by---which I promptly copied to my photobucket because how often do you find a picture like that again? And after almost 10 years?  Shocked

The picture came from a website that was a gallery of altars. Here's the link:
http://www.sacredsource.com/altars0307.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jonathan Alter Reveals His Best Quality
Pop-Up Predators Book Trailer
Embrace the Struggle Book Trailer
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Karyl McBride
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...