A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Peacock Mardi Gras!  (Read 3074 times)
Tags for this thread: mardi_gras , costume , rainbow , peacock , tinsel , burning_man , mask , cape , ring_master , jacket , circus , bodysuit , spandex , lycra , velvet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 15, 2010 01:36:58 PM »

Although I grew up in New Orleans, I've never costumed for parades before. Since this is my boyfriend's first Mardi Gras we decided to go all out for the full experience.

I call Jason's costume the Psychedelic Dream Coat, and mine is Rainbow Peacock. As soon as we saw this amazing rainbow tinsel eyelash fabric we had these costumes in our minds.

Jason designed his ringmaster jacket and I made it, working in all his requests. It fits him like a glove (I had a blast measuring him) and looks amazing. Since he's always warm, the interior is just a thin lining, and the trim is violet stretch velvet. I also made his pants, which are from another costume.

I wanted to have a little cape to be warm and snuggly in the frigid Nevada nights, so mine is lined with fleece. It can be worn many different ways so it will be just as great for dancing in the streets as for cruising around the playa in the art car. The velvet plackets at the arm holes keep them from opening up when I don't want them to, and I made some fingerless gloves that I wore with green fringed arm warmers from my 2009 BM costumes. The cape looks great with all of my bodysuits!

Although these costumes are made in time for Mardi Gras, we also had Burning Man in mind when we designed them. When we first found the rainbow tinsel we thought it would be too MOOPy, but changed our minds after testing the fabric in the Fashion District. Plus, we figured that the fabric would get all its MOOP out at Mardi Gras, making it safe for Black Rock City.

Mardi Gras masks often have fabulous feathers, but as we are both vegetarians and feathers are against Burning Man's MOOP policy, we decided to find an animal and environmentally friendly alternative. My peacock feathers are made on recycled cardboard bases that were first painted in the Rainbow Peacock theme, then embellished with scraps of fabric, jewels, and shiny pieces of trash (the translucent green stars are from a plastic cup and the violet paper ribbon is from a bow I found on the street). Since they are mounted on spiraled pipe cleaners they move with me, similar to real feathers.

Best part about the mask? I can wear it over my glasses!

As always, there are more photos on my site!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010 05:34:58 PM by julibooli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mocka_moo
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010 01:44:04 PM »

This is awesome sauce! This is so awesome Mc Donald's need to name a sandwich after it!!!! I love the colors and the skin clinginess of your outfit... and the glittery bits, the socks, you mini fanny pack,... I am in love!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wowzers...
My Wists: http://www.wists.com/Mocka
stellaheartocean

inappropriate in every way imaginable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010 01:47:09 PM »

The cape looks great with all of my bodysuits!

I love that you clearly own a lot of bodysuits.

Your costumes look AMAZING! Great job on the feathers, they look better than the real thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gunstreetgirl on Ravelry
www.varnishedvalkyrie.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Volume to Your Hair
How to Style Your Hair with Rollers
How to Blow-Dry Short Hair
How to Style a Bob
Thick Hair 101
Latest Blog Articles
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...