A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice on picking a quilting motif?  (Read 508 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunkistaddict
« on: February 14, 2010 09:03:16 PM »

I'm working on assembling the top of a quilt based on the "Turning Twenty" pattern:

http://ldsfabric.com/images/01%20026.jpg

This will be my third quilt. I'm trying to think outside of the box and avoid just quilting in the ditch. I want something that will look nice from the front or the back of the quilt. All I know for sure at this point is that I want some type of pattern to stick to.

What I'd like to know is how you guys find inspiration for quilting motifs, and how you match the motif to the pattern.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010 04:31:40 AM by rackycoo - Reason: please don't hotlink photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~meg
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010 07:44:09 AM »

I tend to draw my inspiration from a couple of things. One, the general layout / style of the quilt. For example, I have a log cabin that I did in deep blues and bright yellows, in an offset, "star" like design. - I did swirls on the blue and a mariner's star on the yellows. Looks great from front or back (and I really hate the backing fabric on that - the recipient picked it out.) On a pixel quilt, I shadow quilted the design outside the motif (a 1up Super Mario mushroom) and in the ditch inside, to emphasize the pixel nature of it.) Because I don't have a "real" longarm machine, I don't use stencils for motifs, but a lot of people do - I'd probably, for that one, take inspiration from the fabrics or colours you're using.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Panoramas in Photoshop
How to Create Audio In After Effects
How to Straighten Crooked Photos in Photoshop
How to Remove Tattoos in Photoshop
How to Create a Simple Levitation in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...